You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 326225  

Print Page



© Mr David Robson

IoE Number: 326225
Location: CHURCH OF ST HELEN, MAIN STREET (east side)
  STILLINGFLEET, SELBY, NORTH YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr David Robson
Date Photographed: 16 September 2006
Date listed: 17 November 1966
Date of last amendment: 17 November 1966
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

STILLINGFLEETMAIN STREETSE 54 SE(east side)8/112Church of Saint Helen

STILLINGFLEET MAIN STREET SE 54 SE (east side) 8/112 Church of Saint Helen 17.11.66 GV I Church. c.1145 nave, south porch and chancel, C13 north aisle and chapel of Saint Anne and lower stage to west tower, C14 additions and alterations including Moreby Chapel dedicated to Saint Mary (founded 1336), C15 and C16 additions to tower and widening and heightening of north aisle and insertion of windows. Later additions and alterations include restoration and rebuilding of east end c.1875-84. Magnesian limestone ashlar with red plain tile roof. 2-stage west tower, 3-bay nave with south porch, 2-bay Moreby Chapel to south and aisle to north, 2-bay chancel with Chapel of Saint Anne (now vestry) to north. Tower: short angle buttresses. Single lancet to west. 1st stage band. To south side a round-arched recess contains small mullion window. Twin-light, straight-headed bell openings. Battlements with pinnacles. Nave: fine south doorway of 5 orders with foliage and heads, beakheads, 2 orders of chevron and an inner order of heads, roundels and beasts supported on shafts with cushion and scallop capitals, some with interlace. Hoodmould and gable with dragon gargoyle to right. C12 plank door with C13 modifications has strap hinges and C hinges with dragon's heads; Viking longboats, pair of figures and other ornamental motifs. Decorated impost band. Two C19 2-light cusped windows above. Next two bays east occupied by Moreby Chapel. Chamfered plinth. West pointed doorway under hoodmould. Trefoil window in triple-chamfered surround to gable. South side has pair of 2-light windows with Reticulated tracery to heads under hoodmoulds. To east recut 3-light window with reticulated tracery to head under hoodmould. Nave, north side: buttress with offsets. Re-set C12 round-arched priest's doorway has chevron moulding with raspberries to architrave under hoodmould with dogtooth. Plank door with decorative strap hinges. 2 and 3-light straight-headed Perpendicular windows. Chancel: south side. Chamfered plinth. Buttresses with offsets. C19 priest's doorway a plank door in ogee-headed, chamfered surround. To left a round- arched niche for statue of Blessed Virgin Mary with remains of plinth and statue. Decorated first stage band with foliate ornament. Two pairs of C19 trefoil-headed windows in straight-headed surrounds. Chancel, north side, occupied by Chapel of Saint Anne: chamfered plinth. 3-light, straight- headed, Perpendicular window, under hoodmould. 2-light, trefoil-headed window. To east side: 3-light window with reticulated tracery to head under hoodmould with head stops. Chancel, east end: plinth. Buttresses with off sets. Stepped first stage band. C19 3-light window with Perpendicular- style tracery to head under hoodmould. Ashlar coping to gable ends. Cross at apex to east end gable. Interior: double-chamfered, pointed tower arch. Nave, north side: 3-bay arcade has double-chamfered pointed arches, one cylindrical pier and one octagonal pier. South side: 2-bay arcade has double-chamfered, pointed arches on octagonal pier and with octagonal responds with C14 foliage and grotesque capitals. Between, a probably early-mid C17 screen with decorated panelling surmounted by bulb-on-vase balusters. To Moreby Chapel, further panelling with strapwork frieze and probably later C17 panelled partition with strapwork frieze. Chapel contains effigy of cross-legged Knight, Sir Robert Moreby, reputedly c.1337. Marble wall monument to John Accolm (d.1611) with 4 kneeling figures facing one another, pair-wise in architectural setting. Chapel of Saint Anne: probably mid-late C17 panelling with seats attached and heavily-moulded, deeply-carved naturalistic frieze, incorporating probable remains of Jacobean overmantle. Remains of Norman carving used in window surrounds. Pointed, double-chamfered 2-bay arcade with dogtooth-moulding and octagonal pier between chapel and chancel, one arch now obscured by organ. Pointed C19 chancel arch. Fragments of medieval stained glass, otherwise C19 and C20 glass. Pevsner, N., Yorkshire, York and The East Riding, 1978, pp 350- 351.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.