You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 32695  

Print Page



© Mr Arthur A. Chapman FRICS

IoE Number: 32695
Location: CHURCH OF ST PETER, A39
  MARKSBURY, BATH AND NORTH EAST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Arthur A. Chapman FRICS
Date Photographed: 20 August 1999
Date listed: 01 February 1954
Date of last amendment: 01 February 1954
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST 66 SEMARKSBURY C.P.A392/2Church of St. Peter1.2.54

ST 66 SE MARKSBURY C.P. A39 2/2 Church of St. Peter 1.2.54 G.V. II* Anglican Parish Church. Late C12 origin, mainly C15, early C17 repairs, upper stage of tower, late C18, extensive restoration of 1875, organ chamber 1897. Rubble brought to courses, freestone dressings, slate roofs with raised coped verges, crested clay ridge tiles. West tower, nave, north porch, chancel, organ chamber. Mainly Perpendicular. Tower of 3 stages, first stage has diagonal buttresses, a canted stair turret in the return of tower and nave and a very small west door with a canted flat arch under a 2-light, chamfered mullion window dated 1634; second stage has a cusped 2-light window with heavy louvres to the north, a blocked single light to the east and 2-light chamfered, vaguely pointed windows south and west, contemporary with third stage which has one enormous, round headed window with raised architrave and louvres per side, thin, embattled parapet dominated by 4 pyramidal pinnacles with vanes. At south, the nave has two 2-light windows under hoodmoulds flanking a blocked, moulded round headed door under a plaque dated 1627; at north 2 similar (that to west is thinner and ogival) windows flank gabled north porch whose pointed outer door has a large chamfered moulding from springer up, inner round head door has a heavy chamfer and vestigial scallop capitals. The buttressed, off-centre chancel has to north one window as elsewhere, 3-light east window of 1875, labels unfinished; lean-to organ chamber to south has east window as elsewhere and the relocated head of former priest's door. Interior: plain, narrow tower arch, chancel arch off-set as for north aisle. Fittings: square font, C12, scraped; Jacobean altar table. Monuments: in chancel; Counsell, 1671, slate tablet, frieze, apron, crest; Wadden, 1682, text in cartouche flanked by pilasters with momenti mori carrying entablature with crest, apron with putto; in nave: Boulter 1782, marble ground, text below draped urn, by Brewer of Box.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.