You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 32751  

Print Page



© Mr David J Lewis LRPS

IoE Number: 32751
Location: CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE, CHURCH LANE (west side)
  CLUTTON, BATH AND NORTH EAST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr David J Lewis LRPS
Date Photographed: 15 June 2000
Date listed: 21 September 1960
Date of last amendment: 21 September 1960
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST 65 NWCLUTTONCHURCH LANE (west side)6/15Church of St. Augustine21.9.60II*

ST 65 NW CLUTTON CHURCH LANE (west side) 6/15 Church of St. Augustine 21.9.60 II* Parish church. Late C12, C15 west tower rebuilt 1728, remainder rebuilt 1865 by John Norton. Squared and coursed sandstone with freestone dressings to tower. Sandstone laid in alternate bands of red and grey to bell stage. Rock-faced pennant sandstone in irregular courses with freestone dressings, quoins and copings to remainder. Slate roofs. Nave, chancel, north and south aisles, west tower, south porch. Fenestration to main body of church excluding tower is crude neo-Early English of 2 and 3-lights with plate tracery and quatrefoils or rosettes in the apex. East window is further decorated with nook shafts and stiff-leaf capitals. Bracketted eaves cornice. Tower of 3 stages with south east corner stair turret. Diagonal buttresses ending at 2nd stage string course in crocketted pinnacles. Moulded string courses, embattled parapets with corner crocketted pinnacles. West facade has round-arched doorway with keyed classical surround and studded plank C19 door. Above this a tall 3-light window under straight head with round-headed lights. 2nd stage has rebuilding date plaque below 2-light window similar to that below. 2-light round-headed bell openings with dense quatrefoil piercing. Other faces are blank but set against south wall of tower is a late C18 railed tomb enclosure with urn finials and gate. Gabled C19 south porch with Transitional style round-headed doorway with roll moulding, nook shafts and stiff-leaf capitals to match C12 south door of similar detail with 3 orders of roll moulding. Interior. Nave has C19 four bay arcades with various leaf and flower capitals. Double chamfer tower arch, original Transitional chancel arch with diagonal fret and stiff-leaf capitals with outer order of roll moulding. Open rafter roofs in nave and aisles. Chancel has aumbry recess on north wall, barrel roof. Fittings. Nave has C19 stone pulpit with trefoil arcading and sgraffito saints; octagonal Perpendicular font with quatrefoil panels in south aisle, recut in C19. (Pevsner, Buildings of England; J. Collinson, History of Somerset 1791).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.