You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 327608  

Print Page



© Mr John Turner

IoE Number: 327608
Location: POST OFFICE AND ATTACHED OUTBUILDINGS, FRONT STREET (north off)
  GROSMONT, SCARBOROUGH, NORTH YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr John Turner
Date Photographed: 06 October 2001
Date listed: 07 July 1989
Date of last amendment: 07 July 1989
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

GROSMONT FRONT STREET (north side, off) Post Office an' attached 3/132 6.10.69 outbuildings (formerly listed under the parish of GV Egton) The address shall be amended to read NZ 80 NW GROSMONT FRONT STREET north Side, off) 3/132 Post Office and attached GV Outbuilding. ------------------------------------ GROSMONT FRONT STREET NZ 80 NW (north side, off) 3/132 Post Office and attached outbuildings (formerly 6.10.69 listed under the Parish of Egtor) GV II Post Office and attached outbuildings, used for storage. c.1835, extended shortly afterwards; further alteration and extension later in C19. Post Office reroofed c.1980. For the Whitby and Pickering Railway Company. Original part in hammered sandstone; extension in bordered tooled sandstone with added red brick lean-to in English garden wall bond. Pantile roofs, and stone and rebuilt brick stacks. L-shaped on plan. Railway front: 2-storey and attic, 3-window, gable-end: 2-storey and basement, 3-window extension at right. Gable end has plank double; doors beneath painted cambered timber lintel at left of inserted 6-pane sash with painted stone sill. On first floor, 2-light mullioned windows flank later inserted 3-light casement. Lunette attic window in architrave, beneath semicircular hoodmould. Lintels to inserted windows are bordered and tooled. Overhanging bracketed eaves with plain bargeboards. Right side stack at base of pitched roof. Extension has C20 replacement door in raised elliptical-arched surround, between unequal 9-pane sashes. 12-pane sashes on first floor and 6-pane on second: central windows on both floors are blind. All windows have painted stone sills and tooled lintels. Raised first floor band. Left-of-centre stack. Right return: 2-storey,1- window gable end with 1-storey lean-to extension at right. Two panelled doors with overlights in extension. Tall 18-pane shop window beneath tooled lintel on ground floor; 2-light large-pane casement window, beneath ogee-shaped lintel with blind Gothick tracery in tympanum, in gable end. Original building probably built as warehousing and used jointly by the railway company and the licensee of the Tunnel Inn (now the Station Tavern, q.v.), John Buttery. A stable adjoining the warehouse on the east said to have been destroyed by Second World War bomb. By 1856, the present Post Office was in existence, combined with a grocer's shop. The ground floor of the warehouse was still used for that purpose, while the second floor had become a reading-room and library, and the third floor a shoemaker's shop.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.