You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 32781  

Print Page

© Dr Neil Bentham

IoE Number: 32781
Photographer: Dr Neil Bentham
Date Photographed: 12 August 2006
Date listed: 21 September 1960
Date of last amendment: 21 September 1960
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST 55 NEEAST HARPTREE WHITECROSS ROAD (north side)5/41Harptree Court21.9.60G.V.II

ST 55 NE EAST HARPTREE WHITECROSS ROAD (north side) 5/41 Harptree Court 21.9.60 G.V. II House. Circa 1800 with c.1820 additions. Possibly by Charles Harcourt Masters of Bath. Ashlar with slate roofs. Classical style with neo-Classical porches. Entrance front of 2 storeys, 13 bays: 5 bay slightly advanced central pedimented block, lower flanking wings with advanced pedimented end bays. Centre block has round-headed openings to ground floor, straight headed above. At time of resurvey (May 1985) these were being refenestrated with 6 pane sashes. Flanking wings have C19 casements, end bays have Venetian windows to ground floor (that to east blocked) and tripartite openings above, all with C19 casements. Greek Doric tetrastyle porch with ironwork balcony above. Venetian doorway with 8 raised and fielded panel door and reveals, patterned fanlight. Moulded cornice, plain parapet, ashlar stacks with terracotta pots. 2 storey and 1 storey service additions to left hand. Garden front of similar design but with 2 semi-circular bows to centre block with distyle Ionic porch between and balcony above. End bays have tripartite windows to ground floor with consoles to entablature and vase and swag friezes. Interior. Entrance Hall with 3 bay coupled Tuscan column arcade, oval domed stairwell. Several fine chimney pieces. Grounds laid out by C.H. Masters c.1800. (R. Cooke, West Country Houses, 1957).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.