You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 327897  

Print Page



© Mr Chris Broadribb

IoE Number: 327897
Location: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, HALL HILL (north side)
  ROXBY, SCARBOROUGH, NORTH YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Chris Broadribb
Date Photographed: 14 September 2003
Date listed: 04 January 1990
Date of last amendment: 04 January 1990
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ROXBYHALL HILLNZ 71 NE(north end)2/246Church of St Nicholas

ROXBY HALL HILL NZ 71 NE (north end) 2/246 Church of St Nicholas II Parish Church. C17 on the site of an earlier church, considerably altered in 1818 and restored in early C20. Coursed plain sandstone north nave wall and lower chancel walls; upper chancel and north nave walls, south nave wall and tower coursed herring-bone - tooled sandstone. Graduated lakeland slate roof with tile ridge and stone copings. West Tower; continuous nave and chancel: chancel probably raised to nave roof level in 1818. Sloped plinth. 3-stage tower has round-arched west doorway with cut voussoirs. 2-light west window above and 2-light segment headed bell openings in 3rd stage below parapet with corner battlements. Stone steps to first-floor boarded door on south side. 2-light nave west windows flank the tower and pent extension (possibly early pent extension (possibly early C20) has a matching window. 2-bay nave has 3-light windows; chancel of one long bay with blocked round-arched priest's door and a 3-light window with round heads to lights and sunk spandrels. Nave and tower windows have round-headed lights. North wall has only one 3-light window. East window, of 5 lights with square head and ridged keystone, probably early C20. Interior: Lobby with 6-panel door to tower. 6-panel double door to church. Panelled pews, mostly lost doors. Strutted king-post roof. All these features probably 1812 as is the pulpit, although on a later C19 base. Monuments: slab with brass to Thomas Boynton, d.1523; slab to Katherine Ingram d.1666; dark limestone slab, raised on4 white marble irons, to the wife of Sir Matthew Boynton, d.1634. C13 font on modern stone plinth.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.