© Tim Belcher
RUGBOURNE FARMHOUSE, BUNGAY'S HILL
HIGH LITTLETON, BATH AND NORTH EAST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
04 April 2007
21 September 1960
Date of last amendment:
15 September 1960
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST 65 NE HIGH LITTLETON BUNGAY'S HILL (north side)
7/68 Rugbourne Farmhouse and attached
21.9.60 garden wall and gate piers (formerly
listed as Rugbourne Farmhouse)
Farmhouse. Late C17. Squared and coursed rubble with flush freestone quoins,
stone openings, copings and double Roman tile roof. South east front of
3 storeys, 5 windows. Ground floor windows are 2-light ovolo mullions with C19
casements, first floor has 3 central cross mullions with 2-light ovolo mullions at
either end, upper floor has 2-light ovolo mullions all blocked. Segmental-headed
and keyed central doorway with moulded architrave and C19 plank door. C19
ironwork porch. Continuous dripmoulds at 1st and 2nd floor levels. Double span
roof with end stone stacks to south east, reconstituted stone stacks to rear.
Side walls have keyed oculi to loft space and some large window openings with
keyed heads and straight cornices: some blocked, others with 6 pane sashes.
Interior. Ground floor left hand room has a contemporary compartmented plaster
ceiling of 4 panels with central roundels and corner foliage sprays. Garden
forecourt has rubble walls with dressed stone copings and plain gate piers, square
on plan, with moulded caps. William Smith the 'Father of British Geology'and
Surveyor to the Somerset Coal Canal Company lodged here 1792-1795 . (R.D. Reid,
Some Buildings of Mendip, 1979).