You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 32843  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 32843
Location: GOURNAY COURT, BATH ROAD (south side)
  WEST HARPTREE, BATH AND NORTH EAST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 21 September 1960
Date of last amendment: 15 January 1986
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST 55 NEWEST HARPTREEBATH ROAD (south side)5/103Gournay Court (formerly listed as21.9.60Gournay Court with pair of gate piersG.V.leading to garden adjacent to West

ST 55 NE WEST HARPTREE BATH ROAD (south side) 5/103 Gournay Court (formerly listed as 21.9.60 Gournay Court with pair of gate piers G.V. leading to garden adjacent to West elevation House) II* Country house. Circa 1600 with c.1650 additions; further additions and restorations in 1910-13 and 1928-54. Squared and coursed red sandstone with freestone dressings, copings, slate roofs, ashlar stacks. C17 building schemes created a main block with later rear wing forming an L shaped plan. Grand symmetrical north front of 2 storeys with attics and cellar, 7 bays. All windows are ovolo cross mullions with small leaded pane casements, those to attic storey set within 4 gables and under flat hoodmoulds. Central advanced 2 storey porch with glazed bay and balcony above with strapwork balustrade. Balcony gives access to Long Gallery under a basket handled arch topped by a curvilinear gable with spoked oval window. Doorway is framed by attached Roman Doric columns and triglyph frieze over Tudor arched entrance with the Buckland and Phelips armorial shields in the spandrels. 6-light glazed bay above is flanked by Ionic columns on bases with carved scrolls proclaiming 'Alltogether Vanity'. Inside, the porch has semi-circular niches either side with seats and a 2-leaf studded plank door. Moulded plinth course, moulded stringcourses to ground and first floors, fine lead downpipes and rainwater heads, ball finials to gable ends and tall stacks set on the diagonal in 4 pairs. Range to the rear of 2 storeys with identical cross mullions and several 1910 gabled dormers. Interior. Ground floor left hand room has a Tudor arched fireplace with strapwork entablature and panelling brought from Beaudesert, Staffs. after 1932. Ground floor right hand room has a fine Tudor arched fireplace with grand strapwork overmantel. Early C17 staircase with round arched balustrade, fruit clusters and vases on newel posts and decorative pendants. Dining Room in rear wing has fireplace with stop fluted jambs and embattled mantlepiece. lst floor left hand bedroom has fine early C17 fireplace with strapwork overmantel containing royal coat of arms and caryatids, panelled walls and 1650s plaster ceiling roundel of oak leaves and ties. 4 bay Long Gallery to attic with ribbed coved roof and acorn bosses. Built by Francis Buckland. (R. Cooke, West Country Houses, 1957).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.