You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 32876  

Print Page

© Mr Arthur A. Chapman FRICS

IoE Number: 32876
Photographer: Mr Arthur A. Chapman FRICS
Date Photographed: 09 September 1999
Date listed: 21 September 1960
Date of last amendment: 02 May 1986
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

TIMSBURY C.P.CHURCH LANEST 65 NE2/24Church of St. Mary the Virgin21 9 60(formerley listed as the Church ofG.V.II*St Mary's)

TIMSBURY C.P. CHURCH LANE ST 65 NE 2/24 Church of St. Mary the Virgin 21 9 60 (formerley listed as the Church of G.V. II* St Mary's) Anglican Parish Church. 1826-32, east end of 1852 by Sir George G. Scott. Ashlar, slate roofs. West tower, aisled nave, chancel, north and south chancels. West tower of 2 stages, diagonal buttresses, tall west window under drip with subsidiary tracery and glazing, south door under drip, each side of the second stage has 2-light window under hoodmould with pierced tracery, clock to east, very thin battlemented parapet with ill-proportioned finials; 4-bay embattled nave has 2-light Y-tracery windows under drips, diagonal buttresses with finials, gabled south porch; gabled chancel of 1852 has a 3-light Perpendicular east window, quatrefoil frieze to gable, gargoyles, diagonal buttresses, identically dressed north and south chapels. Interior: thin arcade with clustered shafts, similarly detailed arcade with screen to Lady Chapel. Monuments: a good collection of early C19 tablets including, Gratiana Palmer, 1823, marble woman weeping by urn on slate ground by Reeves of Bath; Mary Palmer Smith, 1826, marble urn and shield, slate ground by Greenway of Bristol, John Parish, RN, 1837 with anchor, globe, flag; Samborne Palmer, 1814, marble draped urn, inverted torches, slate ground, Lancashire of Bath. Many monuments reflect the long association of the Samborne family with the parish. In the Lady Chapel is a fine C17 wall monument, gadrooned base with skull, columns, heavy entablature below ogee head with ball finials, in north vestry is a recumbent chivalric figure on good chest tomb with heraldry, to Barnaby Samborne, died 1610, but very clean, (scraped or copied?). (Source: N. Pevsner : Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol : 1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.