You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 328849  

Print Page



© Mr Les Waby

IoE Number: 328849
Location: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS,
  BRANSDALE, RYEDALE, NORTH YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Les Waby
Date Photographed: 27 June 2002
Date listed: 24 June 1987
Date of last amendment: 24 June 1987
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRANSDALECOCKAYNESE 69 NW3/15Church of St NicholasGVII

BRANSDALE COCKAYNE SE 69 NW 3/15 Church of St Nicholas GV II Church. c1800; barrel-vaulted roof of 1886. Herringbone-tooled stone, with east end of squared stone; vertically tooled dressings. Stone flag roof with slate roofed porch. West tower; continuous nave and chancel; south porch. Single-stage tower with coped battlements over raised parapet band; round-headed louvred bell opening to south. To south, central gabled porch with round-arched opening. To each side, a round-arched window opening containing paired lights with cusped pointed heads. Raised eaves band. To north side, one similar window to west. East window is pointed, of 3 lights with cusped intersecting tracery. Coped gables and gable crosses to porch and to east end. Interior: reset sedilia on carved corbel head to south of sanctuary. Barrel-vaulted roof with painted bands of lozenge decoration. Tub font on cylindrical pedestal. The church may be attributed on stylistic grounds to John Smith of Farndale whose construction of the Church of St Aidan, Gillamoor, is commemorated in that church. N Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire, The North Riding, p 88.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.