You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 32902  

Print Page



© Mr David J Lewis LRPS

IoE Number: 32902
Location: CHURCH OF ST LEONARD,
  CHELWOOD, BATH AND NORTH EAST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr David J Lewis LRPS
Date Photographed: 10 June 2000
Date listed: 21 September 1960
Date of last amendment: 21 September 1960
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST 66 SWCHELWOOD C.P.CHELWOOD VILLAGE4/8Church of St. Leonard21.9.60G.V.II*

ST 66 SW CHELWOOD C.P. CHELWOOD VILLAGE 4/8 Church of St. Leonard 21.9.60 G.V. II* Parish church. Norman origin, C14, tower rebuilt 1772, largely restored and rebuilt c.1860 by G.J. Norton. Sandstone and limestone rubble, limestone dressings, tower of limestone ashlar on sandstone plinth, slate roofs (hipped on tower) with raised coped verges and cross finials to nave and chancel. West tower, nave, north porch, south aisle, chancel and south vestry. Mainly Decorated style. 2-stage tower has 2-light west window with pointed arch and hood mould, 2nd stage has paired trefoil-headed windows to north, south and west with roundel above and wooden bell-louvres; moulded string courses, gargoyle and water chute at each corner, parapet and coping, roof has small lucarne to each side and cockerel weathervane. 3-bay nave has to north two 2-light windows with trefoil heads, roundel, hood mould and relieving arch, central gabled porch with pointed arched opening, stone bench to each side, pointed arched inner door with chamfered and stopped surround, decorative strap hinges to door, trefoil-headed image niche above, common rafter and collar roof. Aisle has similar 2-light west window, three 2-light windows to south without roundel, weathered buttress to right, roof pitched at different angle from nave. Chancel has 3-light east window with 3 roundels and hood mould, to north 2-light window to right, weathered buttress to left, north vestry has similar 2-light east window, single light and pointed arched door to south, stack to south east. Interior: tall pointed tower arch, chamfered, 3-bay south arcade with cylindrical columns on plain plinths, C14 corbel east and west, vine leaves over a female head to east, fig leaves to west; nave has roof of common rafters, collars with lower braces, upper scissors trusses supporting purlin. South aisle has common rafter roof, one purlin, arched-brace with pierced wooden panel rising from south arcade, triangular arch to vestry, vestry has roof as in aisle. Chancel has arched-brace and collar roof, moulded collar purlin with one carved angel at west end, braces rising from wooden corbels on wall-plate; high pointed chamfered chancel arch, pointed arched opening to vestry, filled by organ, aumbry to north, elaborate carved stone and marble C19 reredos. Fittings: Norman font in nave, tiny volutes at edges and top frieze; late C19 pews, pulpit and screen across south aisle arch; stone hatchment in tower recording gifts to the parish by William Adams, 1815, by Reeves and Son of Bath; wooden board in tower from Incorporated Society for Church buildings. In chancel, marble tablet to Rev. Richard Whalley 1816, by Wood of Bristol. Monuments in tower: marble tablet to Mrs. Elizabeth Cottle, spinster of Nevis, West Indies, 1838, by H. Wood of Bristol; neo-Greek marble tablet to Rev. Richard Warner, 1834, by Reeves and Son of Bath; marble tablet to Mrs. Rebecca Warner, 1844, by Reeves of Bath; stone tablet with cherubs to Thomas Peterson, 1771; stone tablet to Richard Colter, 1744; stone tablet to Abraham James, 1754; slate tablet with gold-painted cherubs to Roger Lyde, 1760; marble monument with draped urn to Martha Adams, 1795, by Reeves and Son of Bath. Fragments of C16 Flemish glass in south aisle windows, with inscriptions in Old French, other windows lattice glazed. (Sources: Pevsner, N.: Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol. 1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.