You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 329717  

Print Page



© Mr John Turner

IoE Number: 329717
Location: MALTON STATION, NORTON ROAD (south side)
  NORTON ON DERWENT, RYEDALE, NORTH YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr John Turner
Date Photographed: 06 February 2001
Date listed: 19 March 1986
Date of last amendment: 19 March 1986
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SE 77 SENORTON-ON-DERWENTNORTON ROAD(south side)2/34Malton Station19/3/86

SE 77 SE NORTON-ON-DERWENT NORTON ROAD (south side) 2/34 Malton Station 19/3/86 II Railway station with station house and ancillary buildings attached. 1845 with alterations of 1867; roof extended 1883 and ticket office and parcels office added c1890; further alterations c1890 and in C20. By G T Andrews for York and North Midland Railway; alterations of 1890 by William Bell. Dressed sandstone on plinth, with tooled sandstone dressings; alteration in tooled sandstone; 1883 extension in red brick; slate and glazed roofs; brick and stone stacks. Entrance range with trainshed behind. Single storey, 7- bay main range with 2-storey, 2 and 3 window pavilions at each end; one and 2 storey range further to left; extension wall of 1883 at end left. Main range: sliding panelled double doors to left of centre with divided overlight beneath segmental arch of stepped voussoirs. To left, extension of c1890 with two 12-pane sashes with flat arches. To right of entrance, later inserted shop front. Three 12-pane sashes further to right, 2 in altered openings with lintels, one with original flat arch. Pitched roof to main range with hipped roof to extension. Station-house to right: door-case of pilasters and entablature contains part-glazed door beneath bordered overlight. Canted bay to right with overhanging roof on shaped brackets. Two 12-pane sashes with painted stone sills to first floor. Ground-floor sill band and raised first-floor band. Cavetto-moulded timber eaves cornice beneath overhanging eaves on shaped brackets. Stacks rise through hipped roof. Right return front of 3 bays repeats features of entrance front. Refreshment rooms to left: door-case of pilasters and entablature contains 4-panel door beneath bordered overlight. 12-pane sashes with flat arches to ground floor, and 2 similar windows to first floor on either side of blocked centre opening. Remaining features repeat those of the station-house. Range to left: centre doorway with unaltered buildings to left. Remainder has been raised to left of the refreshment rooms and an extension added to right of doorway. Hipped roof to each building. Original iron water tank visible to rear. Left return wall: semicircular arched opening of voussoirs to former Footwarmer Room. Rear: 8 arches, segmental at each end, elliptical between, with keystones and hood-moulds, and plain pilasters between. The wall was pierced in 1867 to accommodate an up-platform, removed in 1911. Interior. Roofs: hipped shed roof of iron trusses of 3 vertical struts and 4 diagonal braces. Glazed extension roofs are transverse and raised on cast-iron Composite columns with decorative spandrels. Refreshment rooms: fittings of c1900 survive including panelled counter and bar with shelving and bevelled glass, and 2 chimneypieces. Ticket windows: 3 windows of c1890 survive behind C20 alterations. Victorian letter box inset in pier to left of refreshment rooms. Windscreen of 1867 at end of platform.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.