You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 330422  

Print Page



© Mr John Turner

IoE Number: 330422
Location: NORTON CONYERS HOUSE,
  NORTON CONYERS, HARROGATE, NORTH YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr John Turner
Date Photographed: 17 July 2003
Date listed: 22 July 1955
Date of last amendment: 22 July 1955
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SE 37 NWNORTON CONYERSNORTON CONYERS2/46Norton Conyers House-22.7.55

SE 37 NW NORTON CONYERS NORTON CONYERS 2/46 Norton Conyers House - 22.7.55 - II * House. Probably medieval, with C16 extension and early C17 and C18 alterations. Brick, roughcast, Westmorland slate roof. 2 ranges forming square-plan house. 2 storeys, 4 bays. Central, double doors with pulvinated bands and decorative panels. Surround has pulvinated rusticated piers to either side, each fronted by a pair of raised Corinthian columns. The pedimented entablature above has swags to frieze, dentilled cornice and broken triangular pediment above a heraldic shield. Irregular fenestration, with 3-light, 3-tiered mullion and transom hall window to bay 2; large canted-bay windows with 32-pane sashes to bays 1 and 4. 24-pane sashes in flush wood architraves to both floors of bay 4; a 16-pane sash in recessed frame to bay 3, first floor, and a 12-pane sash in recessed frame to bay 1, first floor. Moulded eaves cornice. 4 ogee-curved gables, each with small bulls-eye window, 3 false. Ball finials to kneelers. Cluster of chimneys to right, external stack to left. Further chimneys on rear range. Interior: hall has high coved ceiling with acorn dentilled cornice. Cl7 fireplace with carved overmantle. Parlour left of hall: C18 fireplace, plasterwork, shutters, panelling. Library behind parlour: mid C18 corner fireplace and overmantle and pulvinated, reeded door-frames with rosettes. Dining room to right of hall: doors with moulded architraves and consoles carrying moulded cornice. C18 plasterwork and window shutters. Wide staircase behind hall of 3 straight flights with double balusters of C16 character, many restored or replaced, and ball finials on newel posts. Much of the C17 work on the house coincides with its acquisition by Sir Richard Graham, made Baronet in 1630. The plasterwork in parlour and dining room is by William Belwood, 1781-83, who also worked at Harewood House and Newby Hall.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.