No Image Available
GREAT RIBSTON WITH WALSHFORD, HARROGATE, NORTH YORKSHIRE
08 March 1952
Date of last amendment:
08 March 1952
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SE 35 SE GREAT RIBSTON RIBSTON PARK
5/29 Ribston Hall
Large country house. 1674 and early C18. Built for the Goodricke family.
Red brick, Flemish bond, ashlar dressings, Westmorland slate roof.
2 storeys, 15 bays. C17 south front: rusticated quoins. Central panelled
double doors have flanking Corinthian columns and open segmental scrolled
pediment. Flanking 4-pane sash windows in architraves with floating
cornices. 1st floor has 15-pane sash windows with architraves. Decorated
panel below central window. Pairs of short ashlar pilasters below windows.
Oversailing eaves with modillion cornice. Hipped roof, probably M-shaped.
2 stacks on ridge above bays 5 and 11. Further stacks on parallel ridge to
rear, and on ridges of side wings. C18 rear elevation has central doorway
with Tuscan columns supporting triangular pediment. All windows are 15-pane
sashes in recessed frames. The 2 outer bays break forward as side wings.
Left return: newly-pointed wall with round-headed staircase window. Right
return has chapel (q.v.) attached. A lower, 7-bay range of C18 and C19
date, attached to the left (west) end of the house, was demolished c1980.
Interior: the central 5 bays of the south side of the house contain the
saloon, with mid C18 plasterwork, a ceiling renewed c1790-1800 and
redecorated 1846 by C. Moxon of London, to whom the existing colours are
due. The plasterwork contains many classical motifs including laurel
wreaths, urns, trophies and eagles. Wall panels contain copies of Italian
paintings. Elaborate end fireplaces, main door in round-headed arch;
doorway to north entrance hall has flanking Corinthian columns and
triangular pediment. Other rooms on south side of house include: (west end)
small room with panelling and C17 carved wood overmantle with fruit and
flowers. At the east end: a library with access to chapel (q.v.). On the
north side of the house - a fine Adam-style dining room with columns and
fine plasterwork and carved wood. In process of redecoration.
N. Pevsner, Yorkshire West Riding, (1959), pp 400 and 644.
H. Speight, Nidderdale, (1894). p 167.
Country Life, October 11th 1973, pp 1050-3, and '
October 18th 1973, pp 1142-5.