You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 330699  

Print Page



© Mr Chris Broadribb

IoE Number: 330699
Location: BILTON HALL, BILTON LANE (north side)
  KNARESBOROUGH, HARROGATE, NORTH YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Chris Broadribb
Date Photographed: 15 September 2001
Date listed: 05 February 1952
Date of last amendment: 05 February 1952
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SE 35 NWKNARESBOROUGHBILTON LANE(north end)2/36Bilton Hall5.2.52

SE 35 NW KNARESBOROUGH BILTON LANE (north end) 2/36 Bilton Hall 5.2.52 GV II Country house. 1853 for the Watson family, incorporating part of shell of mid-late C17 house. Brick, random bond and diaper patterned, stone slate roof. 2 and 3 storeys with cellar and attics, 5 x 6 bays. Rectangular in plan, with C17 facades to west and north. South (entrance) and east (garden) fronts built in mid-C19 Tudor-Jacobean style with diaper brickwork, mullion and transom windows and ball finials. West front: 3 storeys, 6 bays; the end bays project slightly as shallow gabled wings. Quoins. Mullion and transom windows with cast-iron glazing bars to ground and first floors. 3-light windows to wings. Central block, ground floor: 3 closely- spaced 2-light windows to left, three 3-light windows to right. First floor: paired 2-light window to left; probably C20 single light flanked by 2-light windows to right. Two 3-light mullioned windows under eaves. C19 Tudor-style brick stacks to left and right. North facade: right - C18 and C19. Service rooms with C20 glazed doors to centre. Left - gable end of east (garden) front has wide external stack of C17 brickwork with stone quoins. Gable rebuilt above eaves line, probably in C18. C19 brick stacks. Interior: large beams in ground-floor room, north end of west range. Rooms probably all reordered in C19 and altered again in early C20. Mid C19 entrance hall with wide staircase of 2 straight flights. North end of east range: possibly C18 fireplace of white marble, with surround and large pier- glass frame of carved wood and plaster. The centre of the west side has been rebuilt and may originally have had a storeyed porch of the type at Goldsborough Hall (q.v.). There was a park and hunting lodge at Bilton in the C14 and a prominent local family, the Slingsbys, owned the hall in the C16 and until 1631 when it was bought by Thomas Stockdale. The Stockdales probably built the earliest surviving house, but the family lost its fortunes in 1721 (South Sea Bubble) and the house was eventually sold to John Watson of Malton (1742) who was probably responsible for the C18 repairs, and the stable range to the north (q.v.). Harrogate Advertiser, May 18 1957. B Jennings, Harrogate and Knaresborough, 1970, p163. B Williams, Bilton, 1985.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.