You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 330897  

Print Page



© Mr Mark Sunderland

IoE Number: 330897
Location: PLOMPTON HALL,
  PLOMPTON, HARROGATE, NORTH YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Mark Sunderland
Date Photographed: 16 September 2006
Date listed: 08 March 1952
Date of last amendment: 12 December 1985
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SE 35 SEPLOMPTONPLOMPTON HALL5/226Plompton Hall andflanking walls (formerly8.3.52listed as Plompton Hall)

SE 35 SE PLOMPTON PLOMPTON HALL 5/226 Plompton Hall and flanking walls (formerly 8.3.52 listed as Plompton Hall) GV II* Country house and flanking walls. c1760. Probably by John Carr for Daniel Lascelles. Ashlar, stone slate roof. 2 storeys, 3 bays. Rusticated quoins. Wide centre bay breaks forward slightly. Central C20 glazed door with fanlight and narrow margin lights and, above, C20 6-pane window with semicircular wrought-iron balcony all in tall, round-arched recess with voussoirs and impost band. Round-headed niches flank the door, with circular niches above. Side bays - blind windows to ground floor, sash with glazing bars inserted on left and above two 6-pane sashes. Plain lintels and sills throughout. Deep eaves cornice. Triangular pediment over central bay. Hipped roof. Stacks to left and at rear, centre. Rear facade: projecting canted bay, centre, with stack and C20 inserted windows. Interior: Adam-style fireplace in white marble in entrance hall. Short flanking walls, approximately 3 metres high, link the house to stable buildings (q.v.) Wall to left has 3 ball and cushion finials. Later additions built against north face of these walls not of special interest. The house appears to have been converted from the south range of the stables when Daniel Lacelles moved to Goldsborough Hall (q.v.) in 1762 and building work on the much larger house to south-west of the stables ceased. W.A. Atkinson, Goldsborough and its Neighbourhood, 1922, p. 67. W.A. Eden & R.B. Wragg, "John Carr, Stone Cutter Extraordinary", Transactions of the Ancient Monuments Society, N.S. Vol 24, 1980, p.23.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.