You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 331132  

Print Page



© Mr David Robson

IoE Number: 331132
Location: BEWERLEY OLD HALL, GLASSHOUSES ROAD (north side)
  BEWERLEY, HARROGATE, NORTH YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr David Robson
Date Photographed: 09 June 2006
Date listed: 23 April 1952
Date of last amendment: 23 April 1952
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BEWERLEYGLASSHOUSES ROADSE 16 SE(north side)8/4Bewerley Old Hall23.4.52

BEWERLEY GLASSHOUSES ROAD SE 16 SE (north side) 8/4 Bewerley Old Hall 23.4.52 GV II * House. Late C16 - early C17, probably for a member of the Darnbrooke family. Coursed square gritstone and ashlar, graduated stone slate roof. 2 storeys, 3 bays with additional 2-storey porch (probably early C18). Porch: the ground floor open and supported by side walls and 2 Tuscan columns. The front of the side walls cut to match the free-standing columns, that to right not finished; inserted doorway right return. Above: 2-light recessed- chamfered mullion window in projecting stone surround. This window matched by one in left and right returns. Moulded string course at first floor level; hipped roof. House: within porch, board door in deeply-chamfered quoined surround with flattened 4-centred arch. Flanking porch, ground and first floors: 6-light recessed-chamfered mullion windows with central king mullions under hoodmoulds. Shaped kneelers, gable copings, end stacks. 2- storey, 2-bay addition to right, not of special interest. Interior: porch ceiling has fine plaster figure in relief: a female in C17 costume with long flowing hair and holding a book and ? chalice. House interior not inspected at resurvey but reported in old list to contain timber-framed and panelled internal walls, fine plasterwork and'original fireplaces. The former manor house of Bewerley passed to the Inman family in 1681 and in 1774 the estate passed to John Yorke. The new hall (demolished 1925) was built in 1815 and the Old Hall became the gardeners house, with 2 large walled gardens on the east side. The Elizabethan formal garden of box hedges was removed c1975. H Speight, Nidderdale (1894) p 283.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.