You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 33125  

Print Page



© Mr Derek Evans LRPS

IoE Number: 33125
Location: CHURCH OF ST JOHN, ST JOHN'S ROAD (south side)
  CLEVEDON, NORTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Derek Evans LRPS
Date Photographed: 11 September 1999
Date listed: 22 January 1976
Date of last amendment: 22 January 1976
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

In the entry for: CLEVEDON ST JOHN'S ROAD ST 4071 (South side) 1/15 Church of St John the entry shall be amended to read: II* (star) and the description shall be replaced by the following: Church. 1875-6, by William Butterfield for Sir Arthur Elton. Squared and coursed local stone, with Bath stone banding and dressings; plain tile roof. Nave with aisles, transepts and south-west tower with saddleback roof; new porch and second vestry added 1883-4. Exterior designed in a robust Gothic Revival style typical of Butterfield, with paired lancets to aisles and otherwise an imaginative use of Middle Pointed tracery to all windows, including a rose window to the north transept, combined with a robust handling of the principal elements. Interior: narrow aisles with arcades on square chamfered piers without capitals. Pulpit and choir fittings of oak and walnut intermixed; patterned plain and encaustic tiles, with an effective use of Devonshire and other marbles in the chancel. Lower part of walls in nave and aisles lined with red and other coloured Staffordshire tiles. Finely-carpentered roof throughout, with a brattished cornice and deep canted arch bracing to nave. Due to subsidence the stone arch dividing the interior has been replaced by a girder and iron screen by C.S. Hare, 1909. Glass by Heaton, Butler and Bayne. Lady Chapel fitted by Hare. The chancel reredos originally had marble cross surrounded by four Evangelistic emblems in mosaic on gold grounds. ------------------------------------ ST JOHN'S ROAD 1. 5121 (South Side) Church of St John ST 4071 1/15 B 2. 1875-8. subsequently altered. Built for Sir Arthur Elton by William Butterfield (see Paul Thompson's biography). Gothic. Rock-faced stone walls with stone dressings. Red tile roofs. Nave with aisles, transepts and south-west tower with saddleback roof. Lancet and geometric windows. Interior has narrow aisles with arcades on square chamfered piers without capitals. Due to subsidence the stone arch dividing the interior has been replaced by a girder and iron screen by C S Hare (1909). Reredos removed. Glass by Heaton, Butler and Bayne, 1877-9.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.