You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 331292  

Print Page



© Mrs Jill Archer

IoE Number: 331292
Location: GRANTLEY HALL,
  GRANTLEY, HARROGATE, NORTH YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mrs Jill Archer
Date Photographed: 30 June 2001
Date listed: 23 April 1952
Date of last amendment: 23 April 1952
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

NORTH YORKSHIRE HARROGATE 5338 GRANTLEY SE 26 NW 14/12 Grantley Hall 23.4.52 - II * Country house, now Adult Education College. Early C18, mid-late C18 and early C20 for Thomas Norton. Ashlar with stone slate roofs. Plan: main east front,mid to late C18. 2 storeys, 17 bays. South front, early C18, U- plan, 3 storeys, 11 bays. To north is early C20 service wing. Main east front: plinth. Fluted pilasters with friezes, rising to cornice height, to either end and flanking gabled central 5 bays. Gable interrupted by 3- storey canted central 3 bays. Bays 3 and 4, and 14 and 15, slightly advanced and pedimented. Canted bay with central half-glazed door with consoled cornice below round-arched window with radiating glazing bars, flanked by round-arched sashes, also with glazing bars, set in round-arched recesses with raised impost bands. Beyond to either side 7 sashes with glazing bars in moulded architraves with continuous sill bands, those to pedimented bays below consoled cornices. Above, first-floor band and 17 shallower sashes with glazing bars and continuous sill band, all except central 3 sashes in moulded architraves. Moulded cornice and plain coped parapets. Pediments with swags and roundels decorated with Sir Fletcher Norton's coat of arms. Central canted 3 bays have third storey with oculus windows and coupled Doric pilasters to each corner. Moulded cornice and plain parapets above. Hipped roofs. Ridge stack and end stack to right. South front: outer 2 bays on each side break forward by 3 bays. Plinth. Central C17 style panelled door in moulded architrave in stone Doric doorcase with half columns, triglyphed frieze, cornice and pediment. All windows are sashes with glazing bars in plain raised stone surrounds and with continuous sill bands, 3 to either side of door and 2 to flanking bays, also 2 each to inner return walls of advanced bays. Similar arrangement of windows above, but with window over door corniced, and return walls each with 3 openings. Above again similar arrangement to first floor. All windows of right return wall, and first and ground-floor windows of right advanced bay, blank. Right return wall also has plaque depicting an C18 household seeing its eldest son off to war to ground floor and early C18 stone coat of arms above. North wing: classical in detail, not of special interest. Interior: to left of entrance hall, the Morning room which has 2 good carved door surrounds and fireplace of 1750. To right of main hall the lecture room, the right end of this room has neo-classical detailing in the style of Robert Adam. The building that took place in the 1760s has been attributed to John Carr, the owner Sir Fletcher Norton certainly knew him, but there are no records to verify this attribution.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.