© Michael Bass
CLEVEDON COURT, TICKENHAM ROAD (north side)
CLEVEDON, NORTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
27 July 2006
05 April 1952
Date of last amendment:
05 April 1952
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST 47 SW 3/1 5.4.52.
Built by Sir John de Clevedon who died in 1336. Clevedon Court has been described
as one of the most valuable relics of early domestic architecture in England.
Alterations and additions include a new west wing by John Wake about 1570. Further
alterations after 1717. The west front rebuilt 176l-88 and again 1862. Rebuilding
after a fire in 1882 was achieved by the architect, C E Davis. The centre of
the present south front belongs to the original house. 2 storey buttressed porch
with plain parapet to right. Pointed moulded archway with portcullis. 2 storey
projecting chapel range with original ogee reticulated tracery to left. The
medieval hall with part of the original screens passage arrangement (entrances
to kitchen, buttery etc) survives behind the 2 projecting blocks. The great
hall window between these blocks is now in Tudor style but evidence of an earlier
pointed arch with tracery exists above. The rest of the south front has gabled
ranges in Elizabethan style with stone mullioned and transomed windows. Top
storey windows in gables have pediments containing carved heads, finials above.
Gable end on far right (ie to east) of front is in plain vernacular style with
large chimney breast and paired diagonal stacks. Finials to sided of gable.
To rear of east range is attached a further tall gabled wing. Various gabled
ranges including kitchens and a 2-storey porch attached to rear elevation. Excellent
interior of the main building periods.
Clevedon Court and all listed ancillary buildings at Clevedon Court (including
the boundary walls) form a group.