© Mike Bedingfield LRPS
PARISH CHURCH OF ST JAMES THE GREAT,
WINSCOMBE AND SANDFORD, NORTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Mike Bedingfield LRPS
15 August 2000
09 February 1961
Date of last amendment:
09 February 1961
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST 45 NW WINSCOMBE CHURCH LANE
9.2.61 Church of St James
Parish Church of St James the Great. Originally C.13 now C.15, restoration
and Chancel of 1863, some C.20 restoration. A nearly complete perpendicular
church, chancel rebuilt Early English. Coursed ashlar, some rubble, mainly in
south aisle and chancel, freestone dressings: leaded roofs. West tower, nave,
north aisle, north porch, south aisle, chancel, north and south chapels. 4 stage
tower with set back buttresses connected across the diagonal and full height
half-hexagon stair turret. First stage has heavily moulded pointed west door,
string and restored west window. Second stage has part closed 2 light windows
on moulded cills with lozenge stops. To west, one light has carved lily and vase
on either side as crocketed niches, now empty, a residual Annunciation. To east
one niche contains statue of St James. Third stage has 2-light blank windows.
Buttresses become diagonal and slighter, then crocketed corner pinnacles. At
fourth stage, three 2-light windows per side are divided by plain shafts which
rise to subsidiary pinnacles. Outer lights blank, centred pair louvred.
Quatrefoil pierced parapet. Stair turret rises higher, capped and crocketed at
north-east corner. 2 storey north porch has 3-light cusped window under dripmould.
Spiral stair in eastern polygonal turret leads to first floor (timbers being
replaced 1983). North aisle and chapel have pierced parapet, quatrefoils in
lozenges, which rises at each end as for pitched roof. South aisle and chapel
have parapet pierced by trefoils in triangles. Rood stair in polygonal turret
with panelled and crocketed pyramidal cap. Blocked west door. Plain chancel
with 3-light lancet window. Interior: 5 bay arcaded nave, quatrefoil shafts with
hollow waves, plain circular capitals apart from stiff leaf capitals at north of
chancel arch and south of north chapel arch. Lierne vault to tower. Nave has
victorian timber roof with mock hammerbeams with pairs of angels. Panelled
timber roof to chapels and north aisle is original. South aisle retains angel
corbels. Plain chancel of 1863. Glass: East window of north chapel has a good
C.15 crucifixion group. (Restored 1850). Similar glass in chapel's north window
includes made up figures as does a contemporary group in the easternmost window
of the south aisle. Chancel north window given by Peter Carslegh and with the
3 St Peters is early C.16 with some Renaissance detail, putti and fleur-de-lys.
South window has C.19 pictorial glass. Glass in the chancel east lancets of
pre-Raphaelite appearance is by W G Saunder, dated 1863. Fittings: good, straight
benches with traceried ends. C.13 font of heavy circular plinth and capital
form in south aisle. Grand victorian two-tier brass chandelier in nave. Monuments:
1. Chancel south wall, plain tablet, M Taylor 1701. 2. South aisle, 2 tablets,
weeping women on darker ground, 1791 and 1823. 3. Tower, 8 tablets, late C.18/C,19,
draped urns on darker ground - several to Knollis family, Sources: Pevsner:
BoE), North Somerset and Bristol. Woodforde: Stained glass in Somerset.
Harrison: Victorian stained glass. Wright: Church Towers of Somerset.