© Mr Derek Evans LRPS
PARISH CHURCH OF ST SAVIOUR, PUXTON LANE
PUXTON, NORTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Mr Derek Evans LRPS
16 October 2000
09 February 1961
Date of last amendment:
09 February 1961
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
PUXTON C.P. PUXTON LANE
ST 46 SW
5/2 Parish Church of St Saviour
Parish Church: largely C15 and C16. Rubble, mainly rendered, slate roofs.
West tower, 3 bay nave, 2 bay chancel, north porch dated 1557. Tower leans
considerably to west; 2 stages with diagonal buttresses and quatrefoil pierced
parapet; heavily moulded west door under panelled 2-light perpendicular window;
similar windows to all sides of second stage have louvres; plain polygonal stair
turret at south east corner does not rise above parapet. Nave has irregular C14
and C15 windows, pointed south doorway and buttresses with weathered offsets and
simple gabled north porch with ball finial. Chancel, not rendered, has C16
2- and 3-light square head windows; east window is 3-light perpendicular; at
north is a small C19 former organ chamber. Interior is plastered; roof has C17
close spaced trusses with ceiling at tie beam level, except in pulpit bay which
retains sawn-off ends of moulded beams of rood loft. Moulded chancel arch and
base of C16 stone screen. Laudian, probably Jacobean, alter rails. Reading
desk and panelled octagonal pulpit flanking chancel arch; wrought iron hourglass
stand by pulpit. Early/mid C16 heavy oak pews in most of nave, rear of pew by
entrance has cresting and finials; 5 C18 box pews. Norman tub font, scraped,
C17 strapwork cover. West window on north side has shutter rebates and bolt
socket. Commandment tables now at west end. C17 door with bar at south.
Royal arms, 1751 over south door.