You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 33326  

Print Page



© Mr Robert Mair LRPS

IoE Number: 33326
Location: PARISH CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE,
  WICK ST LAWRENCE, NORTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Robert Mair LRPS
Date Photographed: 14 August 1999
Date listed: 09 February 1961
Date of last amendment: 09 February 1961
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

WICK ST. LAWRENCE C.P.ST 36 NE2/3Parish Church of St. Lawrence9.2.61

WICK ST. LAWRENCE C.P. ST 36 NE 2/3 Parish Church of St. Lawrence 9.2.61 G.V. II* Parish Church. C15; largely rebuilt and heavily restored in 1864-65 by Foster and Wood of Bristol. Coursed, squared rubble, freestone dressings, plain tile nave roof, slate roof to chancel and vestry. West tower, 3 bay nave, south porch, 2 bay chancel, north vestry. Tower: 3 stage with south west polygonal stair turret; first stage has diagonal buttresses and moulded west door with fleurons and head stops and restored west window; plain second stage with single light windows; plain 2-light windows to third stage; plain parapet with tiny pinnacles. Nave, bays divided by buttresses with set backs; 3-light windows under dripmoulds with figurative carved stops; to north, polygonal, 2 stage rood stair turret with gargoyles and plain cap. South porch is 2 storeys gabled with moulded doorway and 2-light window over; similar inner door with empty figure niche over stoup. Chancel is lower than nave and has diagonal buttresses blocked south priests door and 3-light perpendicular east window. North vestry of 1865 has freestone quoins and window dressings, 3-light cusped windows under square hoodmoulds and a prominent stack. Interior has moulded perpendicular tower arch, restored chancel arch and embattled wall plate to chancel roof. Everything rebuilt or scraped. C15 freestone pulpit of the highest quality; decorated panels adorn pulpit and pedestal and are surmounted by various ornate friezes. Rood stair doors survive, lower has moulded surround. Tub font, probably Norman. Tablets: Sheppard 1716, Sheppard 1725. Sources: The Story of Wick St. Lawrence. S. Redman.Pevsner: Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.