© Mr Martin Roberts
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH WYND
ALNE, HAMBLETON, NORTH YORKSHIRE
Mr Martin Roberts
04 November 2002
17 May 1960
Date of last amendment:
17 May 1960
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SE 46 NE ALNE CHURCH WYND
17.5.60 Church of St Mary
Church. C12 with C14, C15 and C18 alterations and additions. Sandstone. Roof not
visible. Single-bay chancel with C14 north chapel. 3-bay nave with C15 north arcade.
West tower remodelled in 1766 with addition of brick bell stage. Chancel: Surviving
C12 details are the head corbel table; deeply-splayed round arched lancet to the north
wall and the lintel of the south door carved with a twining serpent held by 2 eagles
(possibly early C12: Pevsner). C14 Decorated east window. Wide continuously
chamfered round arch with no capitals to north chapel. Reticulated east window to
north chapel. Nave arcade of chamfered 2-centred arches with octagonal piers and plain
capitals. C15 flat-arched windows with trefoil headed lights, those to the south have
glass by Kempe 1883. Round tower arch with strong roll mouldings and semi- circular
responds of alternating bands of pink and white. Square abaci and simple volute
capitals with cable moulding to neck. South door of nave probably mid C12:- 2 orders
of shafts, outer one replaced, with large square abaci with intricate decoration. Arch
has medallions to inner order depicting the Agnus Dei, signs of zodiac and labours of
the months. The outer order of lunettes contains a bestiary. A few replaced
voussoirs. Somewhat weathered but very fine. Octagonal carved oak pulpit dated 1626.
Norman font with foliate scroll decoration. Early C14 alabaster effigy of lady in
North chapel. Commemorative plaque to John Pearson dated 1695 in tower.
Pevsner, N., Yorkshire, North Riding 1966 p59-60.
Stone, L., Sculpture in Britian. The Middle Ages, 1972, p78, ill.58A.