You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 33358  

Print Page



© Dr Neil Bentham

IoE Number: 33358
Location: THE CLOISTERS, EAST STREET (north side)
  BANWELL, NORTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Dr Neil Bentham
Date Photographed: 19 March 2005
Date listed: 09 February 1961
Date of last amendment: 09 February 1961
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST 45 NWBANWELLEAST STREET (north side)5/20Banwell Abbey and The Cloisters9.2.61G.V.II*

ST 45 NW BANWELL EAST STREET (north side) 5/20 Banwell Abbey and The Cloisters 9.2.61 G.V. II* 2 houses, formerly one bishop's residence constructed within or on site of monastic foundation. C14 and perhaps earlier, C15 and major reworkings in early and late C19. (Hans Price, 1870). Rubble, ashlar, slate roofs. Main block; 6 windows between buttresses, 3 storeys, 4 in west tower, middle bay breaks forward; mixed fenestration some 2 light mullioned under pointed dripmoulds, some square headed; some sashes some casements; the whole battlemented, central pediment bears crozier, end buttresses surmounted by finials; 3 stage polygonal tower to. left with single pointed lights gargoyles and battlements; parallel range has 2 embattled gables, a round headed entrance under an embattled, gabled porch and 2 light windows under drips; in east gable is a substantial fragment of a large perpendicular window. Various single storey rear outbuildings, all gabled. Interior is a superb Victorian pastiche with a double height hall with large dog leg staircase, ornate plastered rooms with flat arch fireplaces, some of C16 origin. Former chapel and cloister; to right (east)of main block the former chapel now has 2 storeys, at east end is a 3 light window of the C14 above C20 plain chamfered surround windows, to south an embattled tower with single lights and a porch in the re-entrant angle. C19 single storey wing which runs north from former chapel has cusped 3 light windows and a pointed arch entrance below battlements and between buttresses with finials. Interior contains remnants of the cloister walk with 2 light C15 cusped windows. (Source: N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.