You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 333666  

Print Page



© Mr W. Robin Hodges

IoE Number: 333666
Location: CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN THE EVANGELIST AND SAINT MARY MAGDALEN, LOCKWOOD ROAD (east side)
  DEARNE, BARNSLEY, SOUTH YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr W. Robin Hodges
Date Photographed: 19 July 2004
Date listed: 23 August 1963
Date of last amendment: 18 April 1985
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SE40SEDEARNELOCKWOOD ROAD(east side),Goldthorpe7/38Church of St. John

SE40SE DEARNE LOCKWOOD ROAD (east side), Goldthorpe 7/38 Church of St. John and St. Mary Magdalene 23.8.63 (formerly listed as Church of Saint John the Evangelist and Saint Mary Magdalen) II Church. 1914-1916. By A. Y. Nutt. Reinforced concrete with exposed aggregate,pantile roof. 5-bay nave with aisles embracing square tower at south-west corner, 2-bay apsidal chancel with south chapel and gabled projections to north. Simplified Italianate style. Rectangular and tall round-headed lights in projecting square-faced surrounds, pilaster- strips at angles and between bays linking to projecting bands at eaves and verges. West front: shallow projecting porch flanked by small rectangular windows above which are tall round-headed lights. Central sculpture of Christ on the Cross set beneath moulded segmental canopy. Flanking strips continued to verge and crossed by band at eaves level. Tower to right: 3 stages with 2 rectangular windows to lower stages, to upper stage a tall arcade of 4 round-headed openings to each side. Hipped roof surmounted by large clock in decorative wood framework beneath a domed cupola. Nave: windows grouped 3 : 2 : 3 : 2 : 3, all round-headed with iron glazing bars, pilaster-strips between bays, reinforcing now exposed. Lower chancel in similar style: 4 round- headed lights to north chapel, small 3-light windows to apse. Interior: gallery at west end, 5 bay arcades with tall round arches, concrete tie-beam to each bay. Heavily-carved hexagonal wooden-pulpit, C18 Flemish. Imposing concrete baldicchino with tall Corinthian columns and imposts beneath an open segmental pediment. An early experiment in ferro-concrete construction now showing some of its faults. The tower forms a notable landmark.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.