You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 33407  

Print Page



© Mr Cyril N. Chapman LRPS

IoE Number: 33407
Location: LEIGH COURT HOSPITAL,
  ABBOTS LEIGH, NORTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Cyril N. Chapman LRPS
Date Photographed: 02 December 2000
Date listed: 16 March 1984
Date of last amendment: 16 March 1984
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST 57 SWABBOTS LEIGH4/11Leigh Court HospitalG.V.II*

ST 57 SW ABBOTS LEIGH 4/11 Leigh Court Hospital G.V. II* Country house, now a hospital but to be vacated in 1983-84. 1814 by Thomas Hopper for Philip Miles of Bristol. Ashlar; hipped slate roof; ashlar stacks. In a severe Greek Revival style. 2 storeys, on a moulded plinth, cellars and attics. The south-east and north-west elevations are identical. 3:3:3 bays; the central 3 are slightly advanced with a detached portico of four giant, unfluted Ionic columns, plain entablature and pediment; glazing bar sash windows in plain reveals and central glazed doors. The north-east elevation is of 7 bays with the central bays recessed behind four giant Ionic columns in antis; French windows on ground floor, glazing bar sash windows on first floor, C20 fire escape to right; the outer bays have tripartite windows (the outer lights are blank) recessed in a segmental headed niche. To the south-west are attached service wings: 2 storeys; 9 bays of glazing bar sash windows; the south-west end is 2:1:2 bays with end Ionic pilasters, the central bay has a segmental headed window and doorway to a central passageway. The interior is highly elaborate with very fine quality Grecian-style plasterwork. Entrance hall: the square room has a central ring of eight marble Ionic columns which support a saucer dome; decorative anthemion friezes; stone and marble patterned floor. Staircase hall: long oblong room with two flights of cantilevered stone stairs which rise up either side and meet on the first floor; elaborate iron balustrades with brass inlaid handrail; galleries at first floor level with Ionic columns; coved and coffered ceiling with tinted glazing; decorative anthemion frieze, Vitruvian scroll to frieze below galleries; at the north-west end is an 1814 organ by Flight and Robson incorporating a barrel and 2 banks of pipes joined by a frieze, free Greek Revival details. Panelled doors throughout the building, all with brass door furniture. Staff dining room (morning room), in east corner: late C19 in an Adam/Wyatt style with an enriched plaster ceiling a frieze; fireplace with paired Corinthian columns. Patients sitting room (library): flat coffered ceilings with highly elaborate frieze and cornice. Tapestry (drawing) room, in north corner: highly elaborate ceiling with central round panel flanked by rectangular panels; elaborate gilded plasterwork and highly decorative architraves to doors and windows. Room on centre of north-west side has a fine geometrical pattern parquetry floor; decorative ceiling with a large circular centre and much anthemion; elaborate friezes and architraves; retains original square chandelier or gasolier of brass with etched glass. School room, in west corner, (dining room): rectangular ceiling with vine leaves and grapes; figure frieze; large plain marble fireplace with guilloche moulding, animal heads and claws to piers. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.