You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 33451  

Print Page



©  Mike Bedingfield LRPS

IoE Number: 33451
Location: ST NICHOLAS' CHURCH,
  BROCKLEY, NORTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mike Bedingfield LRPS
Date Photographed: 04 September 2000
Date listed: 11 October 1961
Date of last amendment: 11 October 1961
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST 46 NEBROCKLEY6/43St. Nicholas' Church11.10.61G.V.II*

ST 46 NE BROCKLEY 6/43 St. Nicholas' Church 11.10.61 G.V. II* Parish Church (Anglican). C12 altered C13 to, C15; altered c. 1820-30 for the Smyth-Pigott family. West tower, nave, south porch; north and south chapels; chancel and vestry. Coursed rubble with freestone dressings; lead roofs. West tower of 3 stages with diagonal buttresses and an embattled parapet with pinnacles; 2-light bell chamber openings with trefoil-headed lights; 3-light west window and west door in moulded surround and hoodmould with lozenge stops; projecting polygonal stair tower to north-east, embattled parapet. Nave has 3-light Perpendicular style windows with cusped heads to the tracery, square hoodmould. South porch and chapel share a single pitched roof with carved demi- figures as kneelers; 3-light windows with cusped ogee heads to the chapel; double ogee moulded surround to outer doorway; blocked east window to chapel and doorway with a brick ogee head. Chancel: 2 lancet windows, one with a cinquefoil head; 2-light Perpendicular style east window with cusped ogee heads. The north chapel has an early C19 4-light window. South doorway is early - mid C12 but probably re-cut: thin columns with square scalloped capitals and zigzag moulded arch. Interior. Tower arch of 2 wave moulding. Double chamfered arches to north and south chapels. Font, C12, circular bowl with small, blank arches, fluted underside. Pulpit; in a highly elaborate Perpendicular style; ashlar; blank panels of 2-lights with cusped heads; decorative base of foliage and quatrefoil bands, panelled stem; 3 friezes with quatrefoils and foliage; elaborate vaulted canopy with cusping and pinnacles. Behind the pulpit is a moulded doorway with a 4-centred head. In the chancel immediately west of the east windows are 2 square corbels, possibly for lenten purposes. Box pews; Gothick to the chancel. Gothick fireplace to the south of Pigott chapel, with pinnacles and Pigott arms. Reredos: in an elaborate Perpendicular style of 1820-30, quatrefoils, cusped ogee panels and canopy, pinnacles. Chandelier brass, probably early - mid C18. Glass, particularly by W.R. Eginton c.1824-29 for J.H. Smyth - Pigott. Chancel: east window, S.S. Peter and Paul with the Holy Spirit as a dove; north-east window, St. Nicholas and a kneeling child; north-west window, 2 nimbed bishops; south-west window, an ecclesiastic wearing a skull cap, probably Thomas Coward; south-east window, Edward the Confessor, the head is by R. Bell. Pigott chapel: Nicholas and Dorothy Wadham flank Edward I, heraldry above. Nave: Archbishop Chichele, William of Wykeham and Thomas Mowbray with heraldry above. Monuments. Nave: 3 funeral hatchments of Pigott family dated 1727, 1794 and 1816; Royal Arms of 1842. Pigott chapel: Colonel John Pigott, probably c.1790 with dates of 1730, 1794 and later, coloured marbles, inscribed plaque with an urn and the Pigott arms; J. Pigott, died 1811, inscribed marble plaque, weeping woman and an urn; Wadham Pigott, died 1823, by Chantrey; inscribed marble plaque, kneeling woman, draped urn on a pedestal and the profiles of Pigott. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958. C. Woodforde, The Stained Glass of Somerset, 1250-1830, 1946).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.