© Mr David Clayton
SPROTBROUGH, DONCASTER, SOUTH YORKSHIRE
Mr David Clayton
04 August 2006
27 May 1953
Date of last amendment:
11 April 1986
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SE50SW SPROTBROUGH SPROTBROUGH BOAT
7/51 Bridge across
River Don (formerly
listed as Sprotbrough
27.5.53 II Bridge).
Bridge. Mid C19 for Sir Joseph William Copley; central span replaced 1897
in ironwork by Newton Chambers of Sheffield. Fabricated iron central span;
rock-faced sandstone walling to piers and flanking causeways. Causeways each
have 3 segmental arches with rusticated voussoirs springing from cavetto-moulded
imposts; brick soffits; some waterspouts in spandrels; cornices beneath roughcast
parapets with copings which terminate at end piers each with ashlar frieze and
modillioned cornice. Central span has rivetted girders with cross-braced side
panels set into rebates in quoined and corniced abutment piers. Square-latticed
balustrade with wooden handrail on downstream side. Oval plaques at each end of
"ERECTED / BY / NEWTON CHAMBERS / & CO. LIMITED / THORNCLIFFE / IRONWORKS /
SHEFFIELD / 1897".
Spans the River Don and is partly in the parish of Warmsworth.
Kelly's Directory, West Riding, 1889, p1105.