You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 334605  

Print Page



© Ms Janet Tierney LRPS

IoE Number: 334605
Location: MORTUARY CHAPEL AT HATFIELD CEMETERY, CEMETERY ROAD (west off)
  HATFIELD, DONCASTER, SOUTH YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Ms Janet Tierney LRPS
Date Photographed: 01 February 2003
Date listed: 29 September 1987
Date of last amendment: 29 September 1987
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

HATFIELDCEMETERY ROADSE 60 NE(west eider off)11/30Mortuary Chapel atHatfield Cemetery

HATFIELD CEMETERY ROAD SE 60 NE (west eider off) 11/30 Mortuary Chapel at Hatfield Cemetery II Mortuary chapel. 1884 by Edwin Dolby of Abingdon (Kelly's Directory p.450) Thinly-coursed, rock-faced sandstone with ashlar limestone dressings; graduated Westmorland slate roof. Single-storey, single-cell; sides symmetrical with gabled entrances, eastern apse; Gothic Revival stifle. South side: entrance gable breaks forward and has chamfered plinth and moulded band continuing round apse on right. Moulded, pointed-arched doorway with hoodmould returning to link to gable kneelers; blank shield over arch with embattled string to each side. To left end a diagonal buttress with 2 single-light windows on its right having cusped panelled heads beneath square hoodmoulds linked to eaves cornice. Apse on right of doorway has similar windows of 2-lights set beneath higher eaves. Ashlar copings to left (west) gable with ashlar end stack set to rear of ridge. Octagonal flèche on ridge above doorway with cusped side openings and leaded roof with weathervane. Left return (west end): 3-light window with cambered head. Interior; plain brick with ashlar dressings; exposed queen-post trusses. Edwin Dolby was also the architect responsible for the 1862 restoration of Thorne Church of St. Nicholas (q.v.). Kelly's Directory, West Riding, 1889.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.