You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 33474  

Print Page



© Mr Cyril N. Chapman LRPS

IoE Number: 33474
Location: ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS CHURCH, FLAX BOURTON (north side)
  FLAX BOURTON, NORTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Cyril N. Chapman LRPS
Date Photographed: 19 July 2000
Date listed: 11 October 1961
Date of last amendment: 11 October 1961
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST 56 NWFLAX BOURTONFLAX BOURTON (north side)7/79St. Michael and All Angels Church11.10.61G.V.II*

ST 56 NW FLAX BOURTON FLAX BOURTON (north side) 7/79 St. Michael and All Angels Church 11.10.61 G.V. II* Parish Church (Anglican). C12, altered C13 and late C14 to C15; restored mid C19 by John Norton. West tower, nave, north aisle, south porch and chancel. Coursed rubble with freestone dressings; slate roof. West tower of 3 stages with diagonal buttresses, embattled parapet and gargoyles; 2-light bell chamber opening with trefoil head, 3-light west window and west door in moulded surround; projecting polygonal stairtower to north-east; clock on south face dated 1897. Nave: two 3-light Perpendicular style window with cinquefoil heads and square hoodmoulds. Gabled projecting south porch with double chamfered doorcase. Chancel: 2-light windows with cusped heads and square hoodmoulds, the east window is 3-lights under a 4-centred arch and the hoodmould has carved head stops. North aisle (rebuilt by Norton): four 2-light windows with cusped heads and square hoodmoulds. South doorway is C12: spiral fluted columns with a scalloped capital to the west and a capital with coarsely cut upright volutes to the east; round arch with zigzag decoration, the outer order is chamfered with an ornamental scroll moulding; above the doorway is a coarsely cut relief of St. Michael and the Dragon. Interior. Nave: 3 bay C19 north arcade of clustered columns with round caps. C12 chancel arch of two orders; scalloped capitals to the north, leaves, volutes and animal's heads to the south; zigzag moulding with animal heads on the abaci. Perpendicular style tower arch. Font: C12, scalloped square bowl on cylindrical base. Pulpit: C19, oak in a plain Perpendicular style. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.