You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 33480  

Print Page



© Mr Cyril N. Chapman LRPS

IoE Number: 33480
Location: FARLEIGH HOSPITAL AND THE CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, OLD WESTON ROAD (north side)
  FLAX BOURTON, NORTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Cyril N. Chapman LRPS
Date Photographed: 23 September 2000
Date listed: 27 June 1974
Date of last amendment: 27 June 1974
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST 56 NWOLD WESTON ROAD (North-westside)7/154Farleigh Hospital and the Churchof St. George27.6.74

ST 56 NW OLD WESTON ROAD (North-west side) 7/154 Farleigh Hospital and the Church of St. George 27.6.74 G.V. II Workhouse for the Bedminster Union, now a hospital. 1837-8 by Scott and Moffat. Chapel and arcade, dated 1860 by John Norton. The hospital is constructed of ashlar and coursed, squared rubble; C20 tiled and slate roofs; ashlar stacks. At the front is an administrative block with a tall central archway with imposts, a rusticated voussoirs and a keystone dated 1838, surmounted by a pediment. Flanking single storey, 5 bay wings with glazing bar sash windows and wide, plain pilasters; the 3rd and 4th windows project in a square bay under a hipped roof; eaves band and cornice. At the right is a later, low 3 bay extension. Setback behind and at each side of the administrative block are 6 bay blocks. These connect with the north-east and south-west blocks of the inner courtyard: 3 storeys; 7 bays, the last one recessed, to the north; and 6 bays to the south, the last one advanced; all with 4-pane south windows. The rear block has an octagonal, 4 storey central block; alternate bays are advanced and surmounted by a pediment; central C20 door; clock on top storey and plain band between second and top floor; glazing bar sash windows; flanking 3 storey wings of 5 bays. At the rear is the kitchen block: 2 storeys with a hipped slate roof; l:2:2:2:2:2:l bays of 4-pane sash windows, as an E-plan with the outer bays projecting as taller, flanking wings; the kitchen wing is connected by a single storey corridor (now broken through) to the main block. To the south-west of the administrative block an arcaded walk extends for 9 bays (broken in the centre) and it leads to the chapel. The chapel (Church of St George is of coursed, squared rubble with freestone dressings and quoins, and with a plain tiled roof. Nave, north and south transepts, chancel and vestry, all in an early C13 style with plate tracery. Two 2-light windows with cusped heads to the nave; two similar windows to the chancel; 3-light windows to the transepts. 5-light south east window. 4-light north-west window with a foiled circle above. Bell turret on north-west gable. The interior retains the Early English style font and pulpit. All other buildings are excluded.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.