You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 334915  

Print Page



© Mr David Clayton

IoE Number: 334915
Location: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, HIGH STREET (east side)
  BENTLEY, DONCASTER, SOUTH YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr David Clayton
Date Photographed: 05 March 2007
Date listed: 10 December 1959
Date of last amendment: 10 December 1959
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BENTLEY WITH ARKSEYHIGH STREETSE 50 NE(east side),Arksey7/51Church of All Saints

BENTLEY WITH ARKSEY HIGH STREET SE 50 NE (east side), Arksey 7/51 Church of All Saints 10.12.59 GV 1 Church. C12, C13 and C15; restored 1869-70 by Sir George Gilbert Scott. Rubble and ashlar magnesian limestone, lead roofs. Cruciform plan: 3-bay nave with aisles and south porch, crossing tower, 3-bay chancel with north and south chapels. Navel south aisle has chamfered plinth and moulded band; bay-1 porch with responds and carved capitals to a chamfered and quadrant- moulded arch beneath crocketed hood; carved shields beneath string course with carved face; embattled parapet with crocketed pinnacles. C13 south door within has chamfered arch with hood. Other bays have buttresses on right of 3-light pointed windows with renewed panel tracery beneath old hoods; 4-light west window flanked by buttresses. Nave west wall is of earlier rubble with renewed, pointed 3-light window of 3 cusped lancet lights beneath hoodmould; ashlar parapet with cross. North aisle has chamfered plinth, moulded band and offset buttresses; 4-light west window; Tudor-arched north door has hoodmould with large stops and is set beneath window of 2 ogee lights with hoodmould; other bays have 3- and 4-light windows with mouchettes in chamfered, square-headed recesses. Aisle parapets as porch. Crossing: south transept of early rubblework with C12 priests' door on left beneath band; 3-light Decorated window over has pointed arch and hood; low gable with apex finial base; north transept similar. Tower: south-west vice projection and pointed south doorway beneath weathering of an earlier transept roof; cusped iron clock face on south side beneath C12, chamfered slit window; C13 upper stage with 2-light lancet windows with dividing shafts and pierced spandrels all set within round-arched recesses with shafted jambs; oversailing course with gargoyles beneath parapet with crocketed pinnacles; short, recessed octagonal spire with lucarnes. Chancel: embattled C15 south chapel with uncusped 3-light windows having pointed arches and hoodmoulds; east parapet incorporates re-used cross slab, Chancel east end, set back, has C19 three- light window of stepped, round-headed lights beneath continuous hoodmould; vesica to gable with indented copings and apex cross. North chapel: restored C13 east window of 3-lights with intersecting tracery; large 6-light north window has king mullion and Tudor-arched lights. Interior: aisle arcade piers are octagonal to south and cylindrical to north and have matching responds, various moulded capitals and double-chamfered arches. Round arch of 2 orders from north aisle to transept, a C12 slit window above. Nave has C19 roof; earlier aisle roofs, that to south more heavily moulded. Crossing: altered C12 piers, those to east with C13 shafts set round an octagon; C13 arches, to north and south double-chamfered, the others moulded. Cavetto-moulded arch into north chapel from transept; that from transept to south chapel is double-chamfered. Chancel north wall has half a C12 window embrasure; south wall has half a pointed arch, both sides now with large double-chamfered arches into the chapels. Piscina with half- octagonal pedestal in front; C13 sedilia bench with shaped arms. C19 chancel roof; probably C15 roofs to the transepts and chapels have moulded and cambered tie beams. Furnishings: Decorated screen in south chapel with carved mid-rail and heavy cornice moulding. Carved octagonal wooden pulpit of 1634 set on later base has bracketed book ledge, back board and canopy. Octagonal ashlar font has wooden cover dated 1662 with scrolled frets set around on baluster. C18 aisle pews with scratch-moulding, turned finials and balustrading at east end. Monuments: in north transept a marble wall monument to George Cooke (d.1683) has inscription on plaque beneath decorated aedicule with bust in oval panel and open segmental pediment with cartouche. In south chapel a cast-iron plaque records the gift of George Radley to the poor of the parish in 1824.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.