You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 33492  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 33492
Location: GATCOMBE COURT, ASHTON WATERING
  LONG ASHTON, NORTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 16 March 1984
Date of last amendment: 16 March 1984
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST 56 NWLONG ASHTONASHTON WATERING7/95Gatcombe CourtG.V.II*

ST 56 NW LONG ASHTON ASHTON WATERING 7/95 Gatcombe Court G.V. II* Court or manor house. Late C14 - C15; altered mid - late C17 and C20. Rubble with freestone dressings; double Roman tiled roofs at different levels; rendered diagonal stacks. 2 storeys; and attics in 2 steep gables with ball finials to the left (west) part. 4 bays to south elevation with the gable end of the east wing at the far right. The ground floor has two canted bay windows with glazing bar sashes (1930's) to the left; an off-centre projecting, square ashlar porch with a moulded cornice and a C19 panelled and glazed door; to the right is a C17 1:3:1-light bay window with ovolo moulded mullions, transoms and surrounds. On the first floor to the left are 2-light cross windows under a continuous string course and to the right are 2 glazing bar sash windows; 2-light cross windows in the attic. West elevation. 2 bays to the left with 4- and 3-light casement windows in ovolo moulded mullions and surrounds and decorative iron catches; lozenge and square panelled door to right in a moulded frame. At the far right is the projecting gable end of a mediaeval wing: remains of a 2-light window with cusped ogee heads and under a square dripmould in the re-entrant wall; 3-light window with hollow chamfered mullions and cusped ogee heads, under a square dripmould, in gable end wall. Interior. Rear (north-east) room has remains of an ashlar fireplace with an ogee-hollow moulded lintel and jamb; pointed valuted plaster ceiling to chamber above. The main part of the house has an open well staircase, dated RS 1683, with a closed and moulded string, turned balusters and acorn finials; nearby is a studded and panelled door, dated A/1S 1664

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.