You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 334948  

Print Page



© Ms Janet Tierney LRPS

IoE Number: 334948
Location: CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, HIGH STREET (south side)
  NORTON, DONCASTER, SOUTH YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Ms Janet Tierney LRPS
Date Photographed: 09 April 2004
Date listed: 05 June 1968
Date of last amendment: 05 June 1968
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

NORTONHIGH STREETSE 51 SW(south side),Church Hill,Campsall

NORTON HIGH STREET SE 51 SW (south side), Church Hill, Campsall 3/84 Church of 5.6.68 St. Mary Magdalene GV 1 Church. C12, C13, C14 and C15. Rubble and ashlar magnesian limestone, lead and stone slate roofs. Cruciform plan having west tower overlapped by aisles to 4-bay nave with south porch, 3-bay chancel. Tower: west buttresses (that on right with moulded band and large offsets) flank restored C12 doorway with shafts to 4-order round arch, scalloped capitals and zig-zag ornament; above, a blind arcade of 5 arches divided by shafts with block capitals, the central light taller and with zig-zag; string course beneath single-light window with shafts, clock above; offset beneath belfry stage with small blind lights flanked by louvred 2-light openings with shafts and with round arch over; string course beneath Perpendicular embattled parapet with truncated corner pinnacles. Nave: south aisle bay against tower is of 2 storeys and has chamfered plinth, moulded band and diagonal south-west buttress rising as an octagonal flue with spirelet; cusped lancets beneath shouldered-arched 1-light windows on west and south, moulded oversailing course beneath embattled gable with crocketed finial. Perpendicular south porch has quadrant-moulded arch with hoodmould and ogee-headed niche beneath gabled ashlar roof with cross; within are benches and C14 shouldered-lintel doorway under arch with fleurons. Perpendicular 3-light aisle windows with hollow- chamfered surrounds and arched heads. Moulded oversailing course beneath plain parapet with roll-moulded copings and renewed end pinnacles. Clerestorey: cusped, 3-light Perpendicular windows; cornice beneath embattled parapet interrupted by die-bases to crocketed pinnacles. North side has hollow-chamfered doorway beneath niche and windows as south below lean-to roof without parapet; similar clerestorey with 2-light window to bay 4. Stepped east gable to nave has cross. South transept: chamfered plinth, moulded band and offset beneath tall 3-light window with C19 reticulated tracery; shallow gable with cross. North transept: rubble-walled; diagonal buttresses flank a square-headed window of 2 ogee lights beneath a narrower C12 window-head. Chancel: south side: chamfered plinth, large east buttress and buttresses with roll-moulded arrises between bays. Roll-moulded priests' door has hoodmould now carved with anthemion motifs; Y-tracery, double- chamfered windows of c1300 with head-carved hoodmould stops. 1-light window to bay 3. Corbel-table at eaves discontinued to east of bay 3. North side has blocked, pointed doorway with shafted west jamb beneath 2-light window as south; to west are 2 pilaster buttresses rising from a moulded plinth, moulded band beneath C12 single-light window with later carvings to impost and hood. Renewed 5-light east window beneath coped gable with cross. Interior: round arches to north, south and east of tower; on south side of tower pointed arches to north and east of baptistry which has quadripartite vault beneath priests' chamber. Quadrant-moulded inner arch to south doorway. Western 3 bays of aisle arcades early Perpendicular: moulded plinths to square piers with quadrant-moulded corners and moulded capitals to double-chamfered arches. Bay 4 arches into transepts differ; that on south with semicircular west respond and re-carved capital, keeled east respond with moulded capital and pointed arch with roll-moulding and zig-zag. Bay-4 arch to north has 2 semicircular responds and dog-tooth to soffit of similar arch. From south aisle to transept is a quadrant-moulded and chamfered arch. In north aisle: a quadrant-moulded tomb recess, its figure gone; aumbry recess; into transept a C12 arch with zig-zag which cuts an earlier C12 window opening. South transept: 2 piscinas (that on right C20) beneath recess with shouldered lintels on corbels. Chancel arch: restored and with semicircular respond to north and keeled respond to south, 4-centred arch of 2 roll-moulded orders. Bench sedilias of c1300 to north and south of chancel; renewed sedilia with piscina under trefoiled openings. C12 window on north chancel wall has shafts and scalloped capitals. Fittings: octagonal font on moulded base; corbels over south door support wooden statues beneath Gothic canopies; C17 octagonal pulpit on later base. Rood screen of 4 : 2 : 4 divisions with ornate dado having 3 niches to each bay, rail with mouchettes and inscription, coving with lierne ribs. Altar by A. W. N. Pugin in south transept has figures in 5 crocketed niches, (brought from Ackworth). Monuments: at east end of north aisle a medieval grave slab with sword to right of cross on calvary base; another early slab to south of the Pugin altar. In chancel floor: numerous good grave slabs including those to John and William Ramsden (d.1718 and 1717); to finn Humphrey (d.1669) with marble panel. Yarborough family monuments notably the 1803 wall monument to Thomas Yarborough et. al. by Flaxman: panel in aedicule depicting the dispensation of alms to the poor. Cartouche to south of chancel arch to Rev. Francis Yarbrough (d.1776); below it a black marble slab to Anne Yarburgh (d.1682); over north door to Thomas Yarburgh (d.1697), its inscription recorded by Miller (p346). N. Pevsner, B.0.E., 1967 ed. P. F. Ryder, Medieval Buildings of Yarkshire, 1982, p66 (plate). E. Miller, The History and Antiquities of Doncaster, 1804.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.