You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 335349  

Print Page



© Mrs Barbara A West LRPS

IoE Number: 335349
Location: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, CHAPEL LANE (north side)
  BRADFIELD, SHEFFIELD, SOUTH YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mrs Barbara A West LRPS
Date Photographed: 26 October 1999
Date listed: 25 April 1969
Date of last amendment: 25 April 1969
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SK29NWBRADFIELDCHAPEL LANE(north side),Midhopestones.3/25Church of St. James.

SK29NW BRADFIELD CHAPEL LANE (north side), Midhopestones. 3/25 Church of St. James. 25/4/69 II* Church. Probably of medieval origin, rebuilt 1705. Gritstone rubble, poorly coursed on north and south walls, rough-ashlar porch, stone slate roof. Nave and chancel in one, south porch. Single storey, 3-bays (interior). Vernacular style with double- chamfered mullion windows, plain leaded lights, moulded kneelers, gable copings and apex ball finials. Gabled porch to left has an early cross-boarded oak door, heavily studded and with decorated strap hinges. Quoin reveals and flat 3-centred arched lintel, all moulded. Lintel date GBB 1705 with lead plaque above bearing the Bosvile coat of arms. To right : 3-light chancel window. North wall buttressed with 2-light chancel window. East window : tall, 3 lights. West gable : 3-light window to ground floor with 2-light to gallery. Interior : well preserved interior of 1705. 2 rows of box pews and panelled dado (partly renewed). Heavily carved C17 pulpit. Oak stairs and balustrade to west gallery. Profile-cut wall posts of small-scantling, trusses above have tie beams sawn off and purlin ties added although the western truss retains a moulded and soffit- morticed collar which may represent an earlier closure at this end. A complete king-post truss against east wall. Pre-reformation altar slab removed to Penistone Church. Initials on lintel are of Godfrey and Bridget Bosvile. Godfrey Bosvile of Gunthwaite Hall in Penistone parish purchased the manor in 1690, he was High Sheriff of Yorkshire in 1705 and remodelled this church in that year. D. Hey and P. Ryder, 'St. James' Church, Midhope', Archaeological Journal vol 137, pp 459-460. Porch illustrated in : C.F. Innocent, The Development of English Building Construction, 1916 p.228.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.