You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 335465  

Print Page



© Mr David Clayton

IoE Number: 335465
Location: WHITLEY HALL, ELLIOT LANE (south side)
  ECCLESFIELD, SHEFFIELD, SOUTH YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr David Clayton
Date Photographed: 18 June 2004
Date listed: 08 August 1985
Date of last amendment: 08 August 1985
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SK39SWECCLESFIELDELLIOT LANE(south side)10/142Whitley Hall Hotel(formerly listed

SK39SW ECCLESFIELD ELLIOT LANE (south side) 10/142 Whitley Hall Hotel (formerly listed as Whitley Hall) 25.4.69 II* House now restaurant, C16, C17 and C18 with C19 and C20 additions and alterations. Sandstone: earliest work rubble, ashlar garden front, C19 work dressed. Stone slate roofs replaced in part by C20 tiles. U- shaped range of buildings. Garden front: c1700 2½-storey, 7-bay front to an earlier core with 2-storey, 3-bay C17 wing projecting to left and 2-storey, 4-bay double wing of C17, C19 and C20 projecting to right. c1700 front: Rusticated quoins. Central doorway in heavily moulded surround (now partly rendered),consoles and broken segmental pediment. All ground floor bays have 24-pane sashes in architraves. 12-pane sashes in architraves to 1st floor with sundial above central window. 2 gables each with a blind oeil-de-boeuf. Copings to linking parapet and gables. Wing to left: chamfered plinth, central C17 studded oak door in quoined surround with Tudor-arched lintel. Iron casements with leaded lights in tall architraves. Moulded kneelers and gable copings to left. Wing to right: 1980 infill to left has 3 windows to each floor. C19 bay to right with door and window. Ashlar ridge stacks to main range and wings. Entrance front: entrance in recess between 2 C19 2-storey gabled projections. Door in projecting reeded stone surround with frieze and cornice. To right an early ovolo- moulded stair window with mullion and 2 transoms. To lst floor left a 4-light double-chamfered mullion window with king mullion and Gothic glazing. Right return: chamfered plinth. 2 rusticated door surrounds with keyblocks dated 1683, right door widened. Dripmould raised over door surrounds. 2-light double-chamfered mullion windows to left. A section of timber-framed walling to right incorporates some old wallposts. Crow-stepped gable to far right. Interior: within the right door of the right return: a chamfered quoined doorway with flat- pointed lintel inscribed 'WILLIAM PARKER/MADE THIS WORKE/1584'. To upper right room of garden front: oak panelling and good plaster ceiling with floral motifs in high relief.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.