You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 335475  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 335475
Location: THE OLD HALL, 44 AND 44A PRIORY ROAD (east side)
  ECCLESFIELD, SHEFFIELD, SOUTH YORKSHIRE
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 25 February 1952
Date of last amendment: 08 August 1985
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

In the entry for 11/152 ECCLESFIELD PRIORY ROAD (East Side) Nos 44 and 44A (The Old Hall) and No 46 (The Priory) (formerly listed as Ecclesfield Priority (No 46) The item shall be amended to read ECCLESFIELD PRIORY ROAD (East Side) Nos 44 and 44A (The Old Hall) and No 46 (The Priory (formerly listed as Ecclesfield Priory (No 46) The grade shall be amended to read: II* ------------------------------------ SK39SE ECCLESFIELD PRIORY ROAD (east side). 11/152 Nos 44 and 44A (The Old Hall) and No 46 (The Priory) (formerly listed as Eccles- 25.2.52 II field Priorty (No 46) Former priory and house, now 3 dwellings. c1300 chapel block with altered con- temporary crosswing and C19 restoration, house dated 1736. Sandstone : chapel block thinly coursed rubble, crosswing coursed and squared, house ashlar. Tiled roofs, stone slate to crosswing. Irregular range : chapel block 3 storeys, 2 bays with 2 storey crosswing with single-bay gable set back to left. House to left 3 storeys, 5 bays with 2 storey single-bay addition to its left. Chapel block : large quoins, set-back offset buttresses to right. Arched door to right a square-headed loop to left and to first floor. Upper floor with 2-light trefoil-headed window to right, and single cusped lancet to left, both with leaded lights. Crosswing : tall 3-light cavetto-moulded mullion and transom window to ground floor, the central light a door. Hoodmould with square stops, Similar tall 3-light window above with round-headed central light, hoodmould. Gable copings and ball finial. House : chamfered plinth. Central part-glazed door in chamfered quoined surround, dated lintel. All ground and first floor bays with cross-mullioned wood casements beneath flat arches. Three 2nd floor windows of 2 lights set beneath eaves. Lower 2- storey addition to left has one 3-light casement to each floor. Right return : chapel to left has lancet window beneath east window of 3 trefoil.headed lancets under one arch, hoodmould. C19 stack to right at eaves has twin conical shafts. To right, in angle with crosswing, an external stack with shaped shaft. Crosswing to right has small C18 flat-roofed single-storey porch with panelled door and an oeil-de-bouef to its right. Above, 2 cavetto-moulded 3-light mullion windows. To upper floor a cross-mullioned window to left and a (-light window to right with transom. Blocked upper floor doorway to right with chamfered quoined surround. Interior : Chapel : piscina beneath south window, fitted aumbry in rear wall opposite. Crosswing : original pointed doorway into chapel. C19 tiled fireplaces depicting The Priory, Ecclesfield Church and scenes of St. Wandrille. Barrel-vaulted plaster ceiling in first floor room with acanthus and grape motifs in relief panels. Ecclesfield Priory was an alien cell of the Benedictine Abbey of St. Wardrille in Normandy.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.