You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 335545  

Print Page

©  Paul Eggleston

IoE Number: 335545
Photographer: Paul Eggleston
Date Photographed: 30 July 2001
Date listed: 29 March 1968
Date of last amendment: 29 March 1968
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SK49NETHRYBERGHDONCASTER ROAD(west side, off)6/36Church of St. Leonard

SK49NE THRYBERGH DONCASTER ROAD (west side, off) 6/36 Church of St. Leonard 29.3.68 GV II* Church. C11 and C12 nave with C15-style windows; chancel C14; tower C15; all much restored 1871 and 1894; vestry block added 1970 by Pace of York. Irregular sandstone rubble to earliest work; coursed rubble to chancel; otherwise ashlar. Stone slates to porch; other roofs lead. West tower with spire; 3-bay nave with south porch and C20 vestry adjoining in angle with tower; 2-bay chancel. Tower: triple-chamfered plinth. 3-light west window with hoodmould. Clock on south side. String course beneath 2-light belfry openings; another string with gargoyles beneath embattled parapet; recessed, crocketted spire with weathervane. Nave: gabled porch with moulded plinth and quadrant-moulded arch to west of two 3-light Perpendicular windows with hoodmoulds. Quoins of blocked south doorway beneath bay-2 window. Upper wall ashlar; moulded parapet copings and cross to east gable. Round-arched north doorway within ashlar extension to west of original short nave. Chancel: narrower and lower; chamfered plinth. C19 priest's door beneath medieval niche; weathered carving in small triangular panel over. To left a restored 3-light window with geometrical tracery; to right a square-headed 2-light window with ogee-shaped transoms. Upper walling renewed C20; parapet as nave. Restored 4-light east window in Decorated style flanked by offset buttresses. Interior: chancel and tower arches renewed. Nave roof: framed with moulded, cambered tie-beams. C14 effigy set against south wall of tower, another within C20 vestry. Niche at south-east end of nave contains tomb of Ralph Reresby (d.1530): incised depiction of knight; reredos with arms and Latin inscription. Another table tomb, now cut in half, and fixed in south-east corner of chancel. Nave and chancel display an excellent sequence of wall monuments ranging from late C16 to early C19. Of particular note that on north wall of chancel to Lionel Reresby and wife Anne (d.1587): 2 kneelers each beneath canopy, mourners below. In addition to monuments described by Pevsner (B.O.E., pp516-517) are those to Sir John Reresby I (d.1668) over nave south door and to his son Sir John II: panel with carved skulls and trophies, plaque with scrolled pediment above. Reresby brass 1668 near chancel arch. Restored C15 stained glass in easternmost window of nave south wall. N. Pevsner, B.O.E. Yorkshire West Riding, 1967 ed.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.