© Ms Marilyn Shenton ARPS AMPA
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH DRIVE (south side)
WENTWORTH, ROTHERHAM, SOUTH YORKSHIRE
Ms Marilyn Shenton ARPS AMPA
16 August 1999
29 March 1968
Date of last amendment:
29 March 1968
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SK39NE WENTWORTH CHURCH DRIVE
4/64 Church of the
Church. Built 1872-76, consecrated 1877. By J. L. Pearson for the
children of Charles William, 5th Earl Fitzwilliam and his wife Mary
in memory of their parents. Thinly-coursed and snecked sandstone,
ashlar dressings, tile roof. Cruciform plan orientated north-west/
south-east (ritual orientation used here). 4½-bay aisled nave with
north porch; crossing tower with spire; 2-bay chancel with north vestry.
Gothic revival: late C13 style, geometrical tracery. Plinth, moulded
band and string course run round building rising with ground to south.
Offset buttresses between bays and at angles. Hoodmoulds with delicate
stops. Gable copings with crosses. Nave: north porch approached by
steps within ashlar wing walls; iron gate; tripartite responds to moulded
arches with dog-tooth ornament; foiled side-wall openings; rib-vaulted
roof. Aisle bays to left each have two 2-light windows. Small turret
to right in angle with porch. Clerestorey: pilaster buttresses, 3-light
windows, carved eaves band. Transepts: lower, each with 6-light window
and small rose window to gable. Tower: two 2-light gallery windows
flank abutting transept roofs. Clock and offset band beneath coupled,
2-light, louvred belfry openings. String course with corner gargoyles
beneath embattled parapet. Recessed broach spire with lucarnes and
weathervane. Cylindrical stair-turret to south-east corner with arcaded
panel beneath conical cap. Chancel: single-storey north vestry with 2,
square-headed, 3-light windows; priest's door to right. 3-light windows
to chancel; east window of 5 lights beneath rose window.
Interior: Nave:4-bay arcades with compound piers and moulded arches.
Attached columns rise from arcade capitals to springing of vault ribs.
Clerestorey windows flanked by blind windows all within arched recess.
Crossing: arches with dog-tooth ornament; gallery with 2 twin arches to
each side; octopartite vault. Exposed stone rib-vaulting throughout.
Dedication of church carved in bold letters at west end beneath stained-
glass window by C. E. Kempe. Decorative frieze beneath clerestorey.
Chancel has marble steps and paving. East window, 1888, by Clayton and
Bell. Fitzwilliam brasses beneath south transept window.
A. P. Quiney, 'Wentworth Churches', Archaeological Journal, vol 137, 1980,