You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 335635  

Print Page



©  Paul Eggleston

IoE Number: 335635
Location: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH STREET
  ROTHERHAM, ROTHERHAM, SOUTH YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Paul Eggleston
Date Photographed: 24 March 2002
Date listed: 19 October 1951
Date of last amendment: 19 February 1986
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SK4892CHURCH STREET(east side)9/4Church of All Saints19.1(formerly listed underChurch Street)

SK4892 CHURCH STREET (east side) 9/4 Church of All Saints 19.1 (formerly listed under Church Street) GV I Church. C14 chancel heightened in C16, early C15 tower, rest completed late C15 and early C16; C18 and C19 restorations principally that by George Gilbert Scott of 1873-75. Ashlar sandstone, lead roofs. Cruciform plan : 4-bay aisied nave with south porch, crossing tower and transepts, chancel with north and south chapels and north vestry. Perpendicular : intersecting and panel tracery, embattlements with crocketed pinnacles. Nave : chamfered plinth, angle buttresses and buttresses between bays. 3 moulded bands beneath transomed 4-light aisle windows with crocketed and finialled hoodmoulds. Gabled porch to bay 2 has diagonal buttresses and miniature buttresses with pinnacles flanking door. Unrestored south door within porch has angel corbels to crocketed hood. North aisle: less restored and with well-carved hoodmoulds depicting shepherds and their flocks. West door flanked by miniature pinnacled buttresses and beneath blind panels. Transomed 7-light west window flanked by buttresses and transomed 4-light aisle windows. 8 clerestorey windows of 3- lights with hoodmoulds; buttresses with gargoyles and pinnacles between each window. Transepts : 6-light windows to north and south, 3-light windows to east and west, south door. Tower : pinnacled angle buttresses flank paired 4-light belfry openings each with king mullion and 2 transoms, blind panels beneath louvres. Gargoyles flank clock on each face. Recessed octagonal spire with crocketed arrises and pinnacled shafts rising from corner faces, gilded weather- vane. Chancel : south chapel has two 4-light windows with uncusped lights, small 3-light window to eastern-most bay of chancel. North chapel has triangular arches to treble-chamfered windows. Four clerestorey windows each with 3- Tudor-arched lights beneath pointed arch. Buttresses flank transomed 7-light east window with carved busts to hoodmould stops; gable niche and cross. Interior : nave arcades have lozenge-shaped piers with 3 attached shafts to nave and aisle sides; capitals with carved foliage and hidden faces beneath embattled band; moulded arches. Heavily-moulded crossing arches with carved capitals to the attached shafts. Earlier arcades to chapels have octagonal piers and double-chamfered arches. Sedilia with 3 ogee-headed recesses, one with squint into south chapel. Excellent C15 roof to nave with moulded members and carved bosses. Early C16 roofs to chancel and south chapel. Early C15 fan-vaulting to crossing. Fittings : excellent octagonal pulpit of 1604 with C18 sounding board with cherubs and corona with dove. Font in south aisle c1879 has spire cover. C12 font in north aisle, weathered. Organ by Snetzler 1777 in north transept, restored 1890. Excellent choir stalls with 2 misericords and figure-carved bench ends depicting the Annunciation; also some freestanding benches with traceried end panels. C15 canopied parclose screen with partitions south chapel from transept; another restored section in north chapel arcade (both probably from original rood screen). Monuments : numerous wall monuments in south transept including that to Samuel Buck d.1806, by Flaxman; another to 50 victims of a boat disaster at Masborough in 1841 by Edwin Smith of Sheffield. Dresser tomb in north chapel with excellent brass to Robert Swift (d.1561) and Anne (d.1539). Many C17 and C18 brasses attached to piers of chancel and crossing. Glass : east window by Clayton and Bell, designed by Scott. Other windows by A. Gibbs, Camm Bros., Heaton, Butler and Bayne and James Bell (Pevsner, p420). N. Pevsner, BOE, 2nd Ed. 1967, pp 418-420.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.