You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 335676  

Print Page



©  Paul Eggleston

IoE Number: 335676
Location: THUNDERCLIFFE GRANGE, GRANGE LANE (east side)
  ROTHERHAM, ROTHERHAM, SOUTH YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Paul Eggleston
Date Photographed: 02 July 2001
Date listed: 19 February 1986
Date of last amendment: 19 February 1986
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SK39SEROTHERHAMGRANGE LANE(east side, off)4/41ThundercliffeGrange-II

SK39SE ROTHERHAM GRANGE LANE (east side, off) 4/41 Thundercliffe Grange - II Country house,formerly a hospital now flats. 1776-85 by John Platt for the 3rd Earl of Effingham, later additions and alterations. Ashlar sandstone, Welsh slate roof. 2 storeys with attic (possibly of later date), 7 x 6 bays; low 2-storey service wing attached to right return set around quadrangle. Entrance front: 2:3:2 bays, central 3 bays break forward and have pediment to 2nd storey. Plinth. Enclosed central porch (added) has double doors flanked by paired pilasters, arms carved in panel beneath entablature. Flanking bays have sashes with glazing bars with projecting sills and cornices. lst-floor band, sashes as ground floor but without cornices. Cornice rises to form pediment with oeil-de-boeuf in tympanum. Attic: blocking course forms plinth to pilasters clasping angles and paired flanking central bays. 6-pane sashes, 2 inserted casements above pediment. Full entablature. Hipped roof with rendered ridge stacks: 2 to front ridge, 2 to left ridge; elongated end stack to right. Service wing to right has projecting sills to renewed casements and lintels tooled as voussoirs. Ridge stacks. Rear: tripartite porch with pediment. Outer bays bowed and with single tripartite window to ground and 1st floors (window to ground-floor left now with door). Similar window above porch has sill blocks and central feature beneath slight cornice flanked by sashes with glazing bars. Cornice with central broken pediment. Attic: 6-pane sashes to central and outer bays, inserted casements flanking central bay. Service wing to left now altered and cement-rendered. Left return of main house has enlarged doorway to bay 4 with fire escape to its left. Attic storey has paired pilasters flanking bays 2 and 5. Interior: entrance hall has 2 semi-domed niches and contemporary side-wall fireplace. Inner entrance hall lit by roof lantern and with cantilevered staircase with cast-iron balustrade; round-arched arcade to landing. Dining room to front right has plaster wall panels and marble fireplace in wood surround. Room to rear right has Tuscan-pillared division. Home of the Effingham family following their move from Holmes Hall near the developing Walker ironworks of Masbrough. Platt's journal (cited in Ross) records several visits to the Grange including one to dine with Lord Effingham on 25th October 1783, the probable completion date of the house. C. M. Ross,John Platt Mason-Architect, Clifton Park Museum, Information Sheet 11, 1984, p8.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.