You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 33573  

Print Page

©  Michael Bass

IoE Number: 33573
Photographer: Michael Bass
Date Photographed: 23 August 2007
Date listed: 13 October 1952
Date of last amendment: 13 October 1952
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST 47 SEWRAXALLCHARLTON DRIVE3/178Charlton House (The Downs School)15.lO.52-II

ST 47 SE WRAXALL CHARLTON DRIVE 3/178 Charlton House (The Downs School) 15.lO.52 - II Small country house, presently a school. Probably late mediaeval, altered early - mid C17, and extended c.1877-84. Rendered; slate roof behind coped parapet; ashlar stacks. Irregular U-plan building of 3 storeys. The central section has 3 windows on the ground floor and 5 on the first: two 5-light cross windows to the right (the Hall) with ovolo moulded king mullions and surrounds; 2- and 3-light casements elsewhere, all under dripmoulds. 2 storey gabled porch to left; C19 door and moulded surround. Projecting wings to either side, each surmounted by curvilinear gables with ball finials: 2 storey, square bay window of 5-lights to right wing; slightly projecting 3 storey bay to left, 5-light cross window on ground floor and 3-light window on first, all C19 with ovolo moulded mullions and surrounds. Drainpipe hopper on the right (west) wing is dated 1883. Further 2 bay extension to west: lateral stack; 3- and 2-light cross windows with ovolo moulded mullions and casements. Interior. Mostly C19 but retaining a screens passage with the hall to the left. The hall fireplace is early C17: stone; moulded and gadrooned surround; clustered colonnettes to each side with termini caryatids, enriched frieze and moulded cornice; large overmantel with draped figures of kings and women (Charity and Justice) with full armorial bearings. One east internal window is said to have an early C16 2-light window with arched lights. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.