© Mr Derek Evans LRPS
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, HAM LANE (south side)
KINGSTON SEYMOUR, NORTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Mr Derek Evans LRPS
05 October 1999
11 October 1961
Date of last amendment:
11 October 1961
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST 46 NW KINGSTON SEYMOUR C.P. HAM LANE (south side)
2/28 Church of All Saints
Anglican Parish Church. Late C14/C15, restored 1865. Rubble, freestone
dressings, ashlar steeple, lead and slate roofs. West tower, nave south aisle,
south porch, chancel, north chapel. All perpendicular except rebuilt chancel
and north chapel. Tower of 2 stages, though with no string course has angle
buttresses with weathered setbacks, only on the first stage; north east stair
turret, rectangular at first stage, becomes octagonal and rises above the
parapet with small battlements but no cap; plain west door in moulded, pointed
arch below 3-light window, both have plain dripmoulds, clock face to west;
second stage has 2-light louvred windows to all faces; tall parapet between
heavy, crocketed finials, pierced in 2 rows, those below are ogee headed, those
above, have smaller, cusped heads; octagonal spire, with single lights to
compass faces behind parapet, rises to finial with weathercock. 3-bay nave has
3-light pointed windows under drips between buttress which rise as small,
crocketed finials through a trefoil pierced parapet, at east, a plain, lean-to
stair turret with single slit light. Similar south aisle has plain parapet.
Gabled south porch has heavily moulded pointed arch under 2-light window with
drip. Chancel, rebuilt in 1865, has a 3-light, decorated, east window and two
2-light perpendicular windows to south on either side of priest's door. North
chapel, of similar date, has two 2-light perpendicular windows to east, two plain
2-light windows to north. Interior: tower arch has very broad roll and wave
moulding. Nave has an open wagon roof with gilded bosses, north windows have
moulded rear-arches, plain rood stair entrances remain, lower blocked. 4-bay
arcade (with a distinct lean) to south aisle, roll and hollow moulding, small,
foliate capitals, windows have plain rear-arches, slender, framed ceiling rises
from angel corbels; there is an ogee headed piscina at south east. South
porch has a restored arch brace collar beam roof on painted angel corbels, an
ogee headed stoup and an empty niche over south door With a stellate canopy.
There is an ornately moulded arch to the restored chancel with arch brace collar
beam roof on painted angel corbels; a double ogee headed squint passes in part
behind the moulded rear-arch of the south chancel window; there is a small
trefoil headed piscina at the south east. An archway to the north chapel, now
the vestry, is blocked. Glass: the Smyth-Piggot memorial west window was
replaced in a restoration of 1917 to designs by Roland Paul. Fittings: there
is a C19 stone pulpit, a thin derivation from the local school; a much restored
plain font may be C12; faded royal arms moved to tower in order that the C19
altar piece, a painting of the transfiguration, might be placed over south door.
Sources: N. Pevsner, 'Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol' 1958.
C. Woodforde, 'Stained Glass of Somerset, 1250-1830' 1046.