You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 33670  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 33670
Location: CLAPTON COURT, CLEVEDON LANE
  CLAPTON IN GORDANO, NORTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 20 January 1986
Date of last amendment: 20 January 1992
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

CLAPTON IN GORDANO CLEVEDON LANE ST 47 SE (south side) 4/5 Clapton Court G.V. II The description shall be amended to read: ST 47 SE CLAPTON IN GORDANO CLEVEDON LANE 1066/4/5 Clapton Court G.V. II House, now farmhouse. C15 north elevation; altered in early/mid C19 and remainder rebuilt in later centuries, principally in C17 and early/mid C19. Sandstone rubble with limestone dressings; plain tiled roof with crestings, brick stacks and additions, some pantiles and single Roman tiles. PLAN: C15 north porch with rear right stair projects forward from north elevation; main north (front) range remodelled in C19 with deep stair hall flanked by reception/dining rooms; C17 one-room range to rear right, extended further to rear making L-plan in early/mid C19; another room added to rear of left-hand room (to left of porch) in early/mid C19. EXTERIOR: Front has 3-storey porch tower with broad moulded pointed arched entrance, hood mould, mask stops and relieving arch, small inset stone shield with cusped head above, similar inner doorway with hood mould, C19 double doors with quatrefoil glazing, benches to sides; first floor has 2-light window with cusped lights, stopped hood mould and relieving arch, smaller similar window at 2nd floor, string course with gargoyles, embattled parapet, left side of tower has similar windows, inset shield at first floor, some windows retain iron stanchions, right side has newel stair corbelled out in angle with 2 lancets; to left, ground floor 3-light window with plain round heads and hood mould, first floor has mullion and transom window with cusped ogee heads, blind below transom, 2nd floor has C19 replacement 2-light cusped window with relieving arch, weathered single buttresses to left; to right of tower, first floor has wooden 2-light cusped window and wide external stack to former hall; former gable end behind porch tower has coping, half-hipped roof of rear king behind. Left return of 2 1/2 storeys and 2 windows, ground and first floor all margin glazed sashes with sidelights, splayed limestone lintels and keystones, attic has 2 similar sashes under eaves; rear of wing has ground floor similar sash, first and 2nd floor 2 similar sashes of varied sizes, all with brick lintels; lower 2-storey rear wing set back has lean-to with 2 C20 windows and door, 2-light casement with timber lintel, raised coped verge and brick stack above, roof to left of verge pantiled, lower ground floor has 3 -light casement with timber lintel and first floor 2-light casement with segmental head; rear gable end has upper ground and first floor C20 glazed doors. Right return has varied windows, ground floor left similar sash with sidelights and overlight, C20 glazed porch and door, 2-light casement with segmental head above, two 2-light casements under eaves, straight joint to right; 3-light casement ground and first floor right, brick lean-to with door and 2-light casement, 3-light casement with timber lintel and relieving arch at lower ground floor, 3- light casement with segmental head at first floor. INTERIOR: early/mid C19 Gothick-style double doors to porch. Porch has stone newel stair to rear right and pointed-arched chamfered doorways. very thick transverse wall, probably C15, to right of porch and extending to rear. Thin C19 transverse wall, possibly replacing screen, to left of porch and extending to rear. C17 range has ogee-stopped chamfered beams (roof not seen). C19 rooms have panelled doors and shutters and moulded cornices, room to right having marble fireplace, enriched cornice and ceiling rose of c1850; stick-baluster stair; C19 roofs. Many probable features of interest are hidden by later plasterwork etc. HISTORY: the shield to the porch shows the arms of Arthur impaling those of Berkeley - Richard Arthur (c1422-61) married Alice daughter of James Lord Berkeley. (Sources: Pevsner, N: Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, 1958. Robinson, W J: West Country Manors. 1930) ------------------------------------ CLAPTON IN GORDANO C.P. CLEVEDON LANE (south side) ST 47 SE 4/5 Clapton Court G.V. II House, now farmhouse. Retains C15 north elevation, remainder of mid C19, possibly incorporating earlier building, with later alterations. Sandstone rubble, limestone dressings, plain tiled roof with crestings, brick stacks and additions, some pantiles and single Roman tiles. Front has 3-storey porch tower with broad moulded pointed arched entrance, hood mould, mask stops and relieving arch, small inset stone shield with cusped head above, similar inner doorway with hood mould, C19 double doors with quatrefoil glazing, benches to sides; first floor has 2-light window with cusped lights, stopped hood mould and relieving arch, smaller similar window at 2nd floor, string course with gargoyles, embattled parapet, left side of tower has similar windows, inset shield at first floor, some windows retain iron stanchions, right side has newel stair corbelled out in angle with 2 lancets; to left, ground floor 3-light window with plain round heads and hood mould, first floor has mullion and transom window with cusped ogee heads, blind below transom, 2nd floor has C19 replacement 2-light cusped window with relieving arch, weathered single buttresses to left; to right of tower, first floor has wooden 2-light cusped window and wide external stack to former hall; former gable end behind porch tower has coping, half-hipped roof of rear wing behind. Left return of 2 1/2 storeys and 2 windows, ground and first floor all margin glazed sashes with sidelights, splayed limestone lintels and keystones, attic has 2 similar sashes under eaves; rear of wing has ground floor similar sash, first and 2nd floor 2 similar sashes of varied sizes, all with brick lintels; lower 2-storey rear wing set back has lean-to with 2 C20 windows and door, 2-light casement with timber lintel, raised coped verge and brick stack above, roof to left of verge pantiled, lower ground floor has 3-light casement with timber lintel and first floor 2-light casement with segmental head above, rear gable end has upper ground and first floor C20 glazed doors. Right return has varied windows, ground floor left similar sash with sidelights and overlight, C20 glazed porch and door, 2-light casement with segmental head above, two 2-light casements under eaves, straight joint to right; 3-light casement ground and first floor right, brick lean-to with door and 2-light casement, 3-light casement with timber lintel and relieving arch at lower ground floor, 3-light casement with segmental head at first floor. Interior: not inspected. Clapton Court was originally the home of the Arthur family. (Sources: Pevsner, N. : Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol. 1958. Robinson, W.J. : West Country Manors. 1930).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.