You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 33686  

Print Page



©  Mike Bedingfield LRPS

IoE Number: 33686
Location: CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, MAIN ROAD (north side)
  CLEEVE, NORTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mike Bedingfield LRPS
Date Photographed: 19 August 2000
Date listed: 20 January 1986
Date of last amendment: 20 January 1986
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

CLEEVE C.P.MAIN ROAD (north west side)ST 46 NE6/21Church of Holy TrinityG.V.II*

CLEEVE C.P. MAIN ROAD (north west side) ST 46 NE 6/21 Church of Holy Trinity G.V. II* Parish church. 1840 by Manners of Bath. Random rubble, limestone dressings, slate roofs with raised coped verges and kneelers, pyramidal roof to tower. Nave, north and south transepts, crossing tower and chancel. Neo-Norman style. 3-bay nave has 3 recessed bays to south and north, each with round-headed single light, cill string and continuous hood mould across recesses, plinth and corbels to recesses; round-headed west door, shafts with scalloped capitals to sides, double doors with raised fillets and decorative ironwork, string course from imposts, plinth, 2-light window above set in recess with similar jamb-shafts, corbelled cill string and upper string, Lombard frieze to gable end. North and south transepts, each single bay, have 2-light window in gable end, cill and upper string, lancet above, plinth and corbels returned to sides. 2-stage tower has large 2-light window at upper stage all sides, with jamb shafts and central shaft, double round-moulded heads to lights and triple-moulded head overall, scalloped bell-louvres in upper sections, plain below with pierced crosses, cill string and string course from relieving arches, tower has shafts at corners and limestone quoins, corbelled cornice and weathervane. Single bay chancel has 2-light east window set in recess with plain mullion and surround, single light to each side, cill string and continuous hood mould, lancet above, corbels and cross finial; lean-to to north has east light with cill string and door; porch for priest's door to south has door, string course and east light; attached to north C20 single storey addition for church room. Interior: nave has rib-vaulted plaster ceiling in 3 bays with bosses at junctions, ribs rising from demi-shafts with varied carved capitals and corbels; quadruple shafts to sides support roll-moulded arch to tower crossing, similar vaulting throughout, tower vault meets at central circle with 3 cherubs' heads, chancel ceiling in 3 bays. 5 clustered shafts north and south support chancel arch, with 2 central chevronned capitals forming triple arch, central opening taller, under main chancel arch; doors to north and south of chancel with jamb-shafts, reredos with corbels and diamond frieze. Fittings: octagonal stone pulpit in nave with wooden rails in form of Norman columns with Lombard frieze; font in nave, square with scalloped bowl and cable-moulded edge. (Sources: Pevsner, N. : Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol. 1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.