You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 33718  

Print Page

©  John Boothroyd ARPS

IoE Number: 33718
Photographer: John Boothroyd ARPS
Date Photographed: 16 June 2000
Date listed: 20 January 1986
Date of last amendment: 20 January 1986
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

NAILSEA C.P.CHRISTCHURCH ROAD (north side)ST 47 SE4/53Christ ChurchG.V.II

NAILSEA C.P. CHRISTCHURCH ROAD (north side) ST 47 SE 4/53 Christ Church G.V. II Parish church. 1843 by Scott and Moffat, with C20 addition. Coursed sandstone rubble, limestone dressings, slate roofs with raised coped verges, C20 addition in reconstructed stone with asbestos slate roof. Nave, south porch, north vestry, chancel and north organ chamber. Designed in the Commissioners' tradition, Early English style. 5-bay nave has pointed arched west door with surround of 2 chamfered orders, paired jamb shafts and hood mould with ballflower stops, large triple lancet above with engaged shafts to sides of lights, central light taller, similar hood mould and stops, string course raised above door to cill of window, weathered angle buttresses; bellcote with pointed arched openings, jamb shafts and buttresses, blind trefoil in gable; to north, 4 paired lancets with continuous cill string and hood mould, broken by buttresses, bay to east has single storey gabled vestry with 2-light casement and door, plinth; to south a paired lancet to west, 2nd bay has gabled porch with 2-light trefoil- headed window to each side, pointed arched door in surround of 2 chamfered orders single jamb shafts and similar hood mould, cross finial; attached to porch, single storey C20 addition for church rooms; 3 further bays to east as at north. 2-bay chancel, lower than nave, 2 lancets to south and one to north, plinth, cill string and continuous hood mould, 3-light east window, triple lancet with hood mould, stops and cill string, angle buttresses; organ chamber attached to north has chancel string courses continued over pointed arched door and lancets. Interior: nave has 5-bay roof, arched braces rising from stone corbels, collar, queen-posts and braces to upper collar; C20 gallery across west end and pointed segmental-headed door to vestry. High pointed chamfered arch to chancel with upper inner order springing from corbels, chancel has similar 4-bay roof, central truss with pendants to vertical members. Fittings: panelled wooden reredos in chancel, hexagonal carved wooden pulpit in nave, stone octagonal font in nave on stem with 4 shafts, brass candelabra in nave. (Sources: Pevsner, N. : Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol 1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.