You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 337546  

Print Page

© Mr David Robson

IoE Number: 337546
Photographer: Mr David Robson
Date Photographed: 17 September 2007
Date listed: 22 November 1966
Date of last amendment: 22 November 1966
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SE 1338 SESHIPLEYVICTORIA ROADSE 13 NW(east side)Saltaire8/140Saltaire Mills -

SE 1338 SE SHIPLEY VICTORIA ROAD SE 13 NW (east side) Saltaire 8/140 Saltaire Mills - 2/140 main block 22/11/66 including sheds GV II* Mill complex. 1851-53. By Lockwood and Mawson. Engineer: Sir William Fairbairn. For Titus Salt. Harrier-dressed stone with ashlar and rock-faced dressings. Welsh slate roof. 4 storeys and basement in a T-plan with lower sheds in the angles and extending to the east. The main facade is 60 bays long arranged symmetrically A. B. C. D. E. D. C. B. A. with number of bays as follows: 1. 22. 1. 3. 6. 3. 22. 1. Bays A and C project. Bays D project slightly. Bays C are surmounted by square open towers with paired round-arched openings. Window heads are cambered except to ground floor where they are round-arched with rusticated rock-faced voussoirs, and to the top floor of the central bays and the projecting bays where they are also round-arched with archivolts and keystones. Three have central segmental-headed carriage entrances with rusticated rock-faced voussoirs, that to the left infilled with a small extension and that to the right part-blocked. At the base of each bay D is a slender 2-storey round-arched opening, that to right infilled with contemporary glazing and that to left infilled with recent materials. Ashlar rusticated quoins,and ashlar pilaster-quoins to upper floors. String course between floors. Deep bracketed eaves cornice. Parapet to centre bays. Single-storey sheds to right with round-arched windows, segmental-headed cart-entries and deep parapet. The leg of the 'T', the warehouse, is 25 bays long with plain casements and terminates in a 5-storey block, 12 bays long by 6 bays deep. Its rear facade, overlooking the canal, is near-symmetrical with segmental pediments surmounting the 2 loading bays. At low level, opening directly onto the canal, are 7 large, round-arched openings with rock-faced rusticated voussoirs, now infilled with glazing. The side elevations of this end block are pedimented. To the right of the rear facade is a 4-storey 23-bay block and to the left, a 22-bay shed with north-lights, both running parallel to the canal. The building is of fire-proof construction with cast-iron columns and beams, stone floors on hollow-brick arches, and a cast-iron roof. Part of Saltaire model village. N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, 1967 D. Linstrum, West Yorkshire Architect and Architecture, 1976

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.