You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 33758  

Print Page



©  John Boothroyd ARPS

IoE Number: 33758
Location: TICKENHAM COURT, CHURCH LANE
  TICKENHAM, NORTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: John Boothroyd ARPS
Date Photographed: 10 October 2000
Date listed: 13 October 1952
Date of last amendment: 20 January 1986
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

TICKENHAM C.P.CHURCH LANEST 47 SE4/95The Court13.10.52(Formerly Listed as Tickenham Court)-II*

TICKENHAM C.P. CHURCH LANE ST 47 SE 4/95 The Court 13.10.52 (Formerly Listed as Tickenham Court) - II* Farmhouse. A complete hall of c.1400 and parlour/solar wing of c.1500 added to its west end, with some C19 and C20 alterations, extended to north for farmhouse, probably in C18 with later alterations. Rubble with limestone dressings, double Roman tiled roof, solar wing pantiled. T-plan. North elevation of hall, 2 storeys, has two 2-light cusped windows with quatrefoils and hood moulds, 4-centred arched door to left with moulded surround, hood mould and relieving arch, lancet at upper level to left, similar door in moulded surround to right; gable end of hall at left return has blocked upper door, building formerly extended further, with line in upper stonework, raised coped verges, small single storey lean-to. South elevation of hall has 2 similar upper windows, similar door to right, tall pointed arched moulded opening to left with C20 plate-glass, wall set back above door to right. East elevation of parlour wing has at ground floor left a straight-headed transomed 4-light window, upper lights ogee, lower lights pointed, all cusped, lower light to right of C20 plate-glass, hood mould, straight joint to right and 4-centred arched door; at upper level to left of joint, 2-light window with cusped ogee heads and hood mould, possibly formerly bay in angle between hall and parlour; gable end of parlour has large blocked window at ground floor, first floor has large pointed arched opening in hollow- chamfered surround, plate-glass. Rear of parlour (to west) has similar straight-headed transomed window at ground floor right, 2-light C19 window under eaves with ogee cusped heads and hood mould; external stack to left and similar straight-headed window, lower lights of C20, polygonal stair turret to left containing newel stair; to left of stair, first floor has 2 C19 2-light casements with chamfered mullions and hood mould, ground floor has similar 2-light casement and C20 French window with 2 cusped stone lights set over and hood mould, single 2-pane light to right. Attached to left, 2-storey farmhouse, taller 2-storey to far left, has 3-light, 2-light and single C20 light at first floor; east elevation of farmhouse has C20 casements and 2 gabled 3-light dormers. Interior not accessible at time of survey (April 1985), sources describe roof over hall with collar-beams and arched-braces, roof over parlour wing with collars, arched-braces and 3 tiers of windbraces. (Sources: Pevsner, N. : Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol 1958. Forrest, D. : The Making of a Manor 1975. Wood, M. : The English Mediaeval House. Byrchmore in SANHS 1900).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.