You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 33788  

Print Page

© Mr Derek Evans LRPS

IoE Number: 33788
Location: CHURCH OF ST PAUL, WALTON STREET (south west side)
Photographer: Mr Derek Evans LRPS
Date Photographed: 06 June 2001
Date listed: 20 January 1986
Date of last amendment: 20 January 1986
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

WALTON-IN-GORDANO C.P. WALTON STREET (south west side)ST 47 SW3/125Church of St. Paul-II

WALTON-IN-GORDANO C.P. WALTON STREET (south west side) ST 47 SW 3/125 Church of St. Paul - II Parish church. 1839 on site of possibly earlier secular building. Rubble, snecked in chancel, limestone dressings, squared freestone porch, slate roofs with raised coped verges and cross finials. North west tower, nave, north porch, chancel with north and south transepts. Early English style. 3-stage tower, stepped at each stage, has trefoil-headed lancet at first and 2nd stage west, 3rd stage has similar openings with bell-louvres, to south a smaller lancet at 2nd and 3rd stage, to north 2nd stage lancet and 3rd stage clock dated 1897, saddleback roof with gable ends east and west, plinth. 2-bay nave has 2 north lancets with hood mould, south has lancet and paired lancet in flat stone surround with quatrefoil above, tall paired lancet to west with circle above and quatrefoil in gable end. Gabled porch at west end of nave has pointed arched opening in hollow chamfered surround, quatrefoil above, possibly re-used earlier stonework, stone benches to sides and pointed arched inner door, surround of 2 convex-moulded orders with broach stops; brattished wall-plate, principal rafters and ridge purlin; double door with raised fillets and strap hinges, possibly re-used. Chancel has 3 lancets to east, central one taller, in plain surrounds and quatrefoil in gable; north and south transepts have widened lancet with hood mould and stops in gable end, small lean-to to side of north transept. Interior: nave has 5-bay roof, principal rafters, cambered collars, 2 rows of purlins; 2-light south window and east window possibly later with chamfered rere-arches, chamfered pointed arched door to tower; chancel arch formed by rib of ceiling supported on wooden shafts to sides, wagon roof to chancel of 9 bays, with moulded and painted ribs and ridge purlin, 3 similar bays over each transept and moulded wall-plate; east wall has cill string and string at imposts of lancets, trefoil-headed piscina to south. South transept used as vestry, north transept as organ chamber. Fittings: C19 pews and pulpit; stone font in nave, octagonal, on octagonal stem with 4 stops to base, possibly resited. Stained glass in nave windows, dated 1873 to south and 1870 to north, similar glass in east lancets, possibly by the Rev. Rawden Hautenville, rector from 1866-80. (Sources: Pevsner, N. : Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol 1958. Collinson, J. : History and Antiquities of The County of Somerset vol. III 1791 records a church on this site C18).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.